1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best 15" speaker for small cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by drolet1bass, Feb 24, 2013.

1. drolet1bass

drolet1bass

Dec 27, 2012
    Hi everyone! This is my first thread because it is the first time in one year that I don't find the answer on an already existing one. The only other thread I've found about this was for a guy who wanted an hi-fi/hi-end sound, which I don't. I've bought an old 1x15 traynor cab, back loaded, wich is in fact the TS-15 (originaly a 2x15) saw in half, I'm playing with an Ampeg V4B (100 watt R.M.S.), and the internal dimension of the cab are; W:19"1/2, H:20", D:11"3/4. I'm looking for a good single 15" speaker, no limit in price, that would make the best out of my early 70's V4B, is there such a thing out there?
    Thanks a lot!

2. drolet1bass

drolet1bass

Dec 27, 2012
    Anyone??

3. rogypop

rogypop

Jan 10, 2009
    Croatia
    It´s a bit on the small side for a ported cab. For nice old school tone seal the cab, stuff it with poly filling and load it with eminence delta 15 a. My 0.5c.

4. oinge

oinge

Aug 20, 2008
    Check out the Eminence Legend CB-15. I've used that one successfully in smaller cabinets (2-3 ft^3 internal volume).

5. drolet1bass

drolet1bass

Dec 27, 2012
    Sorry, I meant "back loaded" not "back ported"... In Fact there is no hole in the cab... Damn... lol, So I'll check out for the eminence delta

6. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    +1

Very good full-range speaker

7. the neo Faital 15PR400 will do well in there as well, gets pretty close to the old JBL sound (brighter) if that's of interest to you.

Otherwise it's hard to argue with the suggestions for the Eminence CB15, very nice speaker and a bit more "old school" in sound.

Edit: just read your cab isn't ported so you'd have to do that with either of these two drivers. If you don't want to, then +1 for the Eminence Delta 15A.

8. rogypop

rogypop

Jan 10, 2009
    Croatia
    Search for TB member JimmyM, ampeg expert. As far as I can remember he used emi delta loaded, sealed cab with SVT and was quite satisified with results.

9. drolet1bass

drolet1bass

Dec 27, 2012
    But for the delta 15a it says that when the cab is sealed, it is good for 1,30 to 1,50 cubic foot, although mine is 2,65 cubic foot??

10. rogypop

rogypop

Jan 10, 2009
    Croatia
    Cab volume will eventually shrink when you subtract volume displaced by driver, handles, bracing.. :)

11. drolet1bass

drolet1bass

Dec 27, 2012
    Do you think it will reduce enough space to remove a hole cubic foot? Sorry its just that I want to be sure :D

12. all you'll be really doing is reducing the power handling capability of the Delta (thus bigger opportunity for farting). Since you're going to be putting only 100 watts into it there's little to worry about.

That said, you can always put in a 0.5 cu ft or so chunk of closed cell foam or styrofoam and then you'd truly have no worries. That'd subtract excess cab volume with insignificant weight gain.

13. drolet1bass

drolet1bass

Dec 27, 2012
    Why shouldn't I use the Eminence CB15 for a sealed cab? According to the specs its good for 1,9 to 2,3 cu. ft. when sealed, witch seams better than the 1,3 to 1,5 for the delta 15a in my case

14. The CB15 is best for vented, really what it was designed for.

You could get away with sealed but it doesn't sound that great, the bass is really rolled off compared to the Delta 15, which can be used in either sealed or vented. You can use the Delta in your cab, and if you like, just reduce the cab vol a little as I described above.

Just 'cause the manf says so don't make it so, the T/S parameters don't lie, esp when you model with WinISD and the like, IME, IMHO, etc ;)

Edit: I should point out I'm getting ready to load an old Fender Showman 2-15 cab with two Delta's as they'll do well in their separate sealed 2.1 cu ft chambers, just a matter of modelling with the right software. This'll be used w/my tube amps for certain RnB/soul gigs since there are times when there's no substitute for tubes, much as I use ss :cool:

15. Last September, I was prepping to build a cab, and I also saw specs that told me the same thing. Legend CB15 is good in a sealed cab. Yep! That's what it said, alright. Then, I plugged the parameters into a couple of the cab simulators. Small sealed cab? Not hardly. It would be fine for a non-bass cab. Good for a PA, or lead guitar cab. But not a bass cab. Why put a "bass" driver into a non-bass cab? I still used the CB15. It is a pretty good bass driver. But, I put it in a 4cu ft vented box.

16. +1, I use the CB15 as a go-to for a lot of my builds for people -it's a terrific driver esp for the $ - so I've had a chance to play with it for grins and found the same thing: sealed? Nope. Not for bass guitar, anyway. I've found it works really well in anything from 2.7 or so to 4 cu, with 3 to 3.2 being the sweet spot (for me). Vented.

OP, any reason you wouldn't want to port and tune your cab?

17. drolet1bass

drolet1bass

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm fairly new to this and I don't have ANY idea how to do all that, I prefer to play safe and to find something that would fit the cab the way it is. The option of putting styrofoam to reduce cu. ft. and using a delta 15a seems the best option for me so far...

18. it seems from my perspective that's your easiest and most cost effective way to go. A sealed cab with a lower wattage tube amp like a V4B is a very nice rig.

Why not try the speaker in the cab first (make sure it's at least lined on all sides but the baffle with acoustic foam, polyfill, etc) and see how it performs before adding any styrofoam?

19. drolet1bass

drolet1bass

Dec 27, 2012
    What do you mean? Sorry I'm a total noob about cabs and all... Putting acoustic foams all around the speaker? How much? And it what way?

20. does the cab have anything filling or lining it? Generally there's polyfill or fiberglass (not used much anymore) or acoustic foam on the sides and back, about an inch or two thick.

Polyfill is my personal favorite, it's the material used in pillows, comforters, etc. You can snag it at sewing or craft stores. Acoustic foam (the wavy or waffle-ly stuff) is good too. Fiberglass is kind of a pain to use, frankly.

For sealed cabs you can also stuff most of the space with those things, but I'd listen and try.

You line the cab walls to attenuate standing waves, really helps with the clarity of the mids and upper bass.