1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best 15"speaker out there?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MJ_Sotti, May 30, 2012.

1. MJ_Sotti

MJ_Sotti formerly "Mike in Chicago"

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    Gonna buy two and put in a cab I'm buying...

2. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Eminence kappalite 3015LF. Be sure it suits the cab's tuning though.

3. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    Faital 15PR400 is another great 15

4. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    Best for what?

5. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Current production?

Because otherwise I'm going with JBL 140s......

6. Muziekschuur

Muziekschuur

May 25, 2009
    Stavenisse
    Fane

7. beate_r

beate_r

Jan 25, 2012
    Germany
    Also my question.

It depends.

The Kappalite 3015 LF is a great speaker, but only in a two or three way setting.

As far as "fullrange" in a one way setting is considered, the Deltalite 2515 and the "normal" Kappalite 3015 are better suited. And there are surely several others of comparable quality. Maybe even non-Neos?

8. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Really need more info from you.

Do you mean you're buying a box that's already been built (maybe an old cab w/speakers removed) or that you're having a new cab built by someone & you're trying to decide which drivers to install?

If you're getting a pre-built box, you need to know that for best results, boxes are designed around speakers. Just buying any cab & putting in speakers (even top quality ones) is probably a recipe for getting so-so results at best (at least compared to how the speakers could perform in a box specifically made for them). If this is what you're doing, you need to run a cabinet modeling program, like WinISD, to see how different speakers will work with the box & where you'll get the best results.

If someone is building a cab for you, then regular (only in name, NOT performance) Eminence Kappa Lite 3015s (Non-LF) & Faital Pro 15PR400s are probably the top 2 full-range 15s out there.

Some other good looking full-range choices include the Ciare 15NDH-3, Faital Pro 15FH520, Faital Pro 15HP1020, Faital Pro 15FX560 (non-Neo), & 18Sound 15MB700. The Eminence Delta Lite II 2515s are really fine speakers also & will save you some cash. There are also some non-Neo 15s that can work very well if you don't mind the extra weight. The neos have higher to much higher Xmax specs, though, so their displacement (Vd spec; total air movement) is much greater. Combined w/higher sensitivity, this means they'll generally be significantly louder.

The Eminence Kappa Lite 3015LFs are top shelf, too, but their frequency range only goes to 1.5kHz. Mostly limits them to 2-way & 3-way cabs.

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You can't toss any driver into any cab and get a good result. You might as well be saying that you're buying a car with no motor and asking what motor will work in it. You're better off to just buy a car that doesn't need a new motor.

10. maniac mikej

maniac mikej

Oct 28, 2010
    Mayfield, PA
    Do yourself a favor and find a used Aguilar GS115. Best 15 I've ever heard. I plugged into it when I got it and my bandmates were speechless. We practice in a double, and that plus my 5 string literally shakes both sides.

11. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    Best 15" speaker you can buy is the one that the cab is designed for.

12. StraightSix

StraightSix

Nov 23, 2011
    ^ this - more info needed...

13. MJ_Sotti

MJ_Sotti formerly "Mike in Chicago"

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    Thanks for the names guys, cabinets being built by someone else...and to the smartass commentators...go turn your fuzzboxes on and grab that pick.

14. If it hasnt been made yet, I would do some research on cabs being built around speakers. If it has been built already, WinISD and cross your fingers.

If the person building the cab doesnt have recommendations for speakers as to which they are building the cab for, I might also look into some one else to do your build.

15. Usually bass guitar cabinets are designed around the driver rather than the other way around. With that said, there are many good 15” speakers listed above - good luck.

16. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    +100. Someone with the chops to build a good cab doesn't need to be told what drivers to put inside, he should be telling you.

17. Ditto on CLPEAVEY400's advice, a cab builder should have a good idea what speaker to load his cabinet with for the best sound.