Best $1K I ever spent

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adouglas, Aug 26, 2003.

1. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    I finally got to gig with my new rig, and I have to say I certainly spent my money wisely.

I used to play through a Tube Works 1x15 combo that put out about 200 watts without using an extension cab (which I didn't have). The Tube Works head had good tone, but the combo cab lacked bottom and, since it had no tweeter, articulation. 200 watts seemed like enough, because my band isn't all that loud.

Not long ago I got GAS, sold a bunch of gear and used the proceeds to get an Avatar B212, an SWR Grand Prix preamp, a Stewart World 1.2* and a Presonus compressor. Total cost was just about $1000 (the Avatar is new, all the other stuff used).

To quote Christopher Walken as The Continental; WOW! WOWee WOW WOW!

What a difference!!! Terrific tone, plenty of rumblethump, mondo headroom. And this is with decidedly non-premium gear. I can only imagine what it'd sound like with an Aguilar pre....

First lesson learned: The bass may be important, but don't skimp on that rig!!

Second lesson learned: It's not necessary to spend huge bucks on something that'll make your ears very happy, but you do have to spend a certain amount. Perhaps using more highly regarded (=much more costly) cabs and amps would result in a rig that sounds better, but THAT much better? I can't answer that because i don't really know, but I doubt it.

*The Stewart didn't have any overheating problems at all. We were outdoors, but only in direct sun for a short time.
  2. Congrats dude!!!!!!!! I know the feeling.

After I got my SVP+QSC+Avatar210 rig, I can't stand to play with my Carvin combo because only then do you realize what an amp's supposed to sound like. (and put out in terms of volume)

Gettign a rig like yours is the way to go if you're on a budget. It makes you go "wow, that sounds great and is really loud" without spending alot of money.

Hell, I've taken my carvin out a few times for jazz band practices, but every time I immediately decided to bring in the big rig the next practice because it makes the carvin sound like ass.

Here's to budget pro rigs!
  3. Cheers!!

Yup, I'd say that 1000$ buys about the most cost effective rig, for 90% of the situations in the real world of being a bass player. Enjoy.
  4. very awesome
    I'm jealous:bassist:

I seem to be heading towards a similar situation.
    okay 1x15 combo, pretty good for band stuff but just not quite cutting it any more.

How hard was the Grand Prix to find considering they are discontinued?

Which Presonus Compressor?

PS- Bridgeport, CT?
  5. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Glad to hear about your new equipment, good solid tone is a wonderful thing. Your statment, though, had me wondering about the best grand I ever spent. By the time your fifty-four you've spent many thousands on stuff you don't even want.

One beautiful winter day at Santa Anita Herb Alpert was in the padock with his small chestnut, TV Cat. I cought his attention and said, "I play bass, are you raceing to win?" He replied, "Hock your fiddle," with a huge smile.

I was holding ten $100 to win tickets when TV Cat crossed the finish line 3/4 of a length in front paying $8.60. On his way in from the winners circle he said, "where you on?" I held up a fist full of tickets and we both smiled...big.

Thanks Herb
  6. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    yeah, you can get things for great deals all used too. i got my whole rig for $550
    Ampeg SVT-III Pro ($350)
    Hartke 4x10 XL ($200)
    Peavey 1x15BX with new scorpion 15- got on a trade (awesome cab!!)

but damn, yours sounds like a KILLER rig!

7. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT

The GP wasn't hard at all to locate. Took no more than a couple of weeks... I posted some "wanted" ads in the usual places and cruised ebay. The guy I bought it from saw one of my Wanted ads and contacted me.

I picked it because I like the "SWR sound" and because the price was right.

The compressor is a Blue Max, chosen because it's got handy presets. Set and forget. Got that one on ebay.

Yup. Connecticut.
  8. Did that B212 have deltas or kappas in it? I'm seriously thinking of getting a b212 with deltas and running it about the same way you are, but with a Behringer bass v-amp for a preamp.
  9. Just pondering...

WHat do you think the Pros/Cons are for a 2x12 versus 2 1x12s?
    Tone, portability, loudness...

10. adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    ...but logically it seems to me that a 212 will have better low-end response than two 1x12s ASSUMING TOTAL VOLUME IS THE SAME.

It is certainly possible to build 1x12 enclosures with extended low-end response, but the total volume would wind up being larger than a single 2x12 cabinet with the same response, right?

The 212 isn't all that large, BTW.