Best 1x15" out there - any sleepers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tubster, Jul 30, 2004.

1. tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    After exhausting countless combinations of 10" speakers, I'm back to thinking that 15"s are where it is at for my sound (old RnB, Classic Rock).

I have an Eden WT 800 and a SUNN 300T and would welcome your suggestions on the best 1x15" cab out there. Especially welcome would be guidance on sleepers - those cabs that might not be "this week's buzz" but can be had for a decent price and make a great sound. I will spend the $$$ but don't want to if don't have to!

Oh....I appreciate the "try 2x12"s or 6 x10" argument but in this case, I am focused on finding the right 15". Thanks
  2. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Try to locat an older EV loaded Mesa Boogie cab (roadready or Diesel series). Those with the EV (EVM 15B) drivers sound really great.

Or the latest Bergantino NV 215 might be right up your alley.
  3. I've got the Mesa Diesel with a single EV15 and it's a sweet cab.
    I would sell it to you but your too far away and the shipping would eat one of us up, it's not worth it. I mostly play my Berg cabs now, but the EV mentioned previously IS a sweet speaker, I don't know why Mesa changed to PSA should be POS..... JMHO.
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Ditto on the Boogie 1-15" cabs with EVs.

A real sleeper is the EAW (Eastern Acoustic Works) VB125. EAW is a big name pro-audio supplier, they made bass guitar cabs for a few years in the 1980s...they also recommended using them as PA subwoofers :eek: Nice, deep tone and stays focused at insane high volumes.

I often see them used for $200 or less, a total steal. They are common here in New England because their factory is in MA.
  5. Brain is right. EAW makes some fabulous enclosures. I didn't know they made a bass cab though. He is right about the FULL Range type speaker and that's what the EV is like in the Mesa cabs.
  6. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    The Bergantino HT115 is the best cab I know for the sound you want.
  7. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    You could try a Basson B15b. Loud, very loud.
  8. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound

If you are into the vintage Rock/R&B sound then the S15-D is the cab for you. It's light and compact, which is a nice plus for a 15". It's plenty loud, even though it is only rated at 200W continuous (it will handle peaks of 800W). It has a nice vintage vibe to it. When I use it with an Eden WT400 dialed in right, I think of the old B15 sound.

This isn't a cab that's gonna get the low Dub bass sounds, or give you the highs of a HiFi cab. But, it is the punchiest 15 I have ever heard. Really nice low mids. All in all a nice pleasing bass tone that fills a room.

I've heard from others on TB that a pair of S15s really pound out the lows.

But listen to it first. It's not like the typical modern 15.
  9. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I'm going to have to agree with the EV loaded Boogie cabs, thre are none better than that IMO.
  10. Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    The Eden D-115 is the fattest and warmest of the smaller 15's. A pair of those would be eminently portable and give you a huge sound.

The larger 15's like the Aguilar and Eden D115XLT can play louder, but they just don't have the mojo of the D115.

But if you want a more aggressive rock sound, the Mesa or Bag End would suffice. I've had 3 or 4 of each of those, and could never get into them. The Eden D-115 is still my thundering favorite.

Now if size is not a concern, then the Ampeg PR-15H and Bag End S15B-D are hard to beat. The bigger the box, the bigger the bottom, if you know what I mean.
  11. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    OK, don't forget Trace Elliot. If you can find them I love 1518 cab. If you want a horn try to find one of the 1153H cabs.

New stuff? I like the Eden (the larger one) and the Ashdown EVO.
  12. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    All of the cabinets mentioned are great, but you might want to contact Marc Serio at DR. Basscabs.He's the "sleeper" you were talking about in the crowd.You can get a small 20"x18x16 (or very close to that) cabinet that is tough and with an emminence beta 15a in it ,would weigh less than 30 lbs (and handle 350 watts to boot).Marc is very reasonable on price too.Just my two cents, for the "sleeper".
  13. tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    Thanks for all the great suggestions, I am floored by such an abundance of wisdom - seems that I am following a path well trodden.

I have had a couple of interesting offers - Epifani NYC and an Eden XLT. Both are on the list for consideration. Thanks for the input on the Eden - duly noted.

THe sleeper suggestion I will also pursue plus the Mesa and Bag End. Basson I heard once but it was a heavy metal band and was tough for me....perhaps my taste is not as eclectic as I would like to imagine.

EAW stuff is just amazing and I never realized they did bass guitar cabs - will keep a look out.

I'm also considering buying a couple of good cabs and loading them with appropriate drivers - and am thinking of EV .....any ideas for sourcing raw EV drivers? I know that resale without "a badge" makes speakers unsaleable but if I can get 2 for the price of 1, it might make sense. I know it's not a question of just chucking a 15" in any old box and hoping for tonal nirvana. IF anyone has experience with this route, I would love to hear.

Once again thanks for all the great input! :hyper:

Thanks again for all the input
  14. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I would love to hear a Sunn 300T through two bag End 15's
  15. What he said^

The S15B-D is "Big Bottom" indeed... I've never seen a bigger 1x15. Anyone know of a bigger one?

The bigger the cushion, the sweeter the pushin'
    That's what I said
    The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand
    Or so I have read

My baby fits me like a flesh tuxedo
    I'd like to sink her with my pink torpedo

Big bottom, big bottom
    Talk about bum cakes, my girl's got 'em
    Big bottom drive me out of my mind
    How could I leave this behind?
  16. tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    Epifani T115.
    Had one matched up with a Mesa/Boogie 400+ via 3ft Monster Cable Pro1000.This set up matched out beautifully for peak performance IMHO.
    Sounded better(tight with tube flow)than my current EV loaded Buster! 1x15 combo,but I'm a humbler creature these days.
  17. tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    BTW-passed up the Bergy as it seemed more akin to a scooped tone.
  18. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Another vote for the EV Boogies. I love my 1x15 and it loves me.