Best 2 or 4x12 cab on the market, for volume and tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by realbadgroove, Mar 12, 2010.

1. realbadgroove

realbadgroove

Apr 12, 2008
    Kansas
    I am looking at new cabs and aguilar looks good right now but am trying to get a better feel for what users thing. I am not a fan or accugroove so anything besides that. What do you just love.... perhaps the best 12 cab you have ever laid hands on

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Hands down, imo, Genz benz Uber 212.

3. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

If you like the same tone that RickenBoogie likes, of course.

It's like asking "Best tasting food."

4. NickRich

NickRich

Oct 13, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
    For me (and my little experience), it's Mesa/Boogie's 2x12.
    Always been impressed by that one.

5. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    First, there is no "best", as it's entirely subjective.

Lots of 2x12s get good reviews. Aguilar, Mesa/Boogie, Bergantino, Epifani, and Genz-Benz all make great, top-shelf products. Try to play as many as possible, read reviews, and see which one most closely matches the tone you like and go for it. I partial to Genz-Benz, mostly because I think the people might actually be better than the product itself, which is awesome. I've not played the Uber 212 (yet), but I have played the NeoX 212 and it was an awesome cab. But, even they will tell you that there are other good products on the market.

6. mournblade

mournblade

Nov 19, 2006
    Roanoke, TX
    My takes on the two 4x12's I have.

Mesa 4x12 - clean bell like tone. Great range, really , imo, lets the true tone of your bass shine through if you keep your head flat.

GK 4x12- great sounding cab, good lows, more color in the tone, imo definitely a "rock" voiced cab. Not a bad thing at all, sounds awesome with a Titan and I actually prefer to use the GK with a 400+. Only drawback to the gk that I see, the top shelf is very narrow. If you have a full size head (especially in a case) the back feet are half hanging off the shelf.

Both cabinets are great, and the GK is, IMO, the steal of the category. $899 new.

7. PSPookie

PSPookie Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Amen.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: this is the best cabinet I've ever played through.

8. Aguilar DB212

The TC RS212 is sweet as well...very 'thin' profile for a 2x12.

Tecamp M212 (VERY expensive)

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    This is also so very true. You asked, I answered. But, my answer only applies to my own ears. Yours need to go expirience some of these cabs for your own self, to understand the sometimes subtle differences.(also, sometimes not so subtle).

10. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    I play through 2 EA Wizzy 1x12's.

11. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    ...just have to listen to each and make up your own mind. That said, I prefer Mesa.

12. realbadgroove

realbadgroove

Apr 12, 2008
    Kansas
    Well I would love to go play through all these cabs and if I lived in somewhere like los angeles or new york that would be no problem but I am in kansas. I do understand that everyone likes different stuff but the idea of this post was to find stuff that you guys liked so I would have a good idea of what I should look into. There are lots of cabs out there. I am looking for something that is number one really loud and number two clean and clear. My band plays mostly large rooms so the sound of the cab is not as important as good volume and very reliable as we play lots of shows.

13. Lukejt

Lukejt

May 24, 2008
    Maryland
    I was in the same boat as you. I kept my eye out for a deal on a really good-light weight cab for a couple weeks. I happened upon a GK MB212 (combo amp, 500watt 212 neo) that cost less than most of the cabs I'd been eyeballing. I only picked it up yesterday... but wow. It is clean, LOUD and ultra light weight. It's the same size as my 115 cab. I'm blown away. It should suit me just fine, ymmv. It's 39lbs, and that is with an amp. No speaker out/extension though, but the MB210 is capable of powering an extension.

14. I am kind of in the same boat. I am lookin for more efficient/loud cabs as my current band is pretty loud and heavy. My rig is able to be audible but I need to be more than audible!
    I checked out a lot of cabs at GC a few weeks ago and the GK 2x12's and Mesa 2x12's were the most impressive. All the other cabs sounded anemic and/or too bright in comparison.
    Though to be fair, when you run an amp flat (for comparison sake) some cabs will sound pretty lame. Those same cabs will really get down when you feed them a more eq-ed tone.
    The Mesa's seemed to take crazy eq much better than the GK cabs. The GK sounded really good but I could see them getting kind of harsh at high volume.
    I would also love to check out the Aguilar and the Bergantino NV's but I NEVER see them in any stores!

15. Al Berry

Al Berry

Jan 15, 2008
    Los Angeles area
    oozes tone and warmth..
    I think I just got chills!
    Not many for sale though, and not many people willing to let go of one..
    Pretty much build request..

16. Dan55

Dan55

Apr 26, 2006
    Atlanta
    +1 on a Mesa PH212. Great cab.

17. checked out their site, no mention of the bass cab. No mention of the price list for the valve bass head they make. It must cost a bundle!

18. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I don't like many modern cabs, but I like that aggie 4X12 a lot. It was pretty easy to move around too.

I'm sure the Bergie NV 412 is no slouch either.

19. realbadgroove

realbadgroove

Apr 12, 2008
    Kansas
    Thanks guys more great Ideas... just with I could demo all this stuff. As for the mesa stuff which is one of the only cabs I can go demo. I have played through some of there older stuff and was very happy but have yet to try the new cabs. Cant wait

20. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

If you can't personally listen to equipment, then you might as well toss a coin. It's such a subjective thing...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021