Best 2 PuP combo for good variety of tones/styles

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MovinTarget, Feb 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MovinTarget

MovinTarget Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Trying to come up with a good plan for a kit project.

Assume a 3-4 band active eq, 4 string, 2 PuP configuration.

My first thought is to have a Delano Hybrid MM in the bridge and a split coil 'bucker toward the bridge, but Delano only has a P or a J that pairs with the Hybrid (according to bestbassgear).

Really, I just want to squeeze out just about any reasonable tone from one instrument without dropping $500 for a pair of Sims Super Quads.

Any thoughts? I am all over the place playstyles...

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Get a set of these:

Bigrig 4 Dual Coil

Wire them up with push/pull volume pots for series/parallel operation.

Nordstrand_Pickups_BigRig4_Soapbar_Bass_800x.jpg

Stumbo, NKBassman and 4StringTheorist like this.
  3. ctmullins

ctmullins Dominated Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Q-tuners and an ACG filter preamp. :cool:

But that’s more than $500...

Edit: Perhaps a bit more reasonable: Three Wilde J45s on a Strat five-way switch through an Audere Classic. That’s probably around $350.

Stumbo and PeaveyPlayer like this.
  4. sprag

sprag

Sep 15, 2011
    Melb Australia
    What about a pair of delano hybrids

5. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Yeah I'm looking at the hybrid, Perhaps a MM + J combo, but the kit I'm looking at already has 2 soapbar cavities routed so I wasn't thrilled at putting a skinny J in and have all kinds of space left over... That's why I was bummed they didn't offer a Hybrid normal-ish 'bucker, perhaps split coil so I could play with going MM/J, MM/H, J/J, etc. by flipping a few switches...

I do like the idea of the Hybrid MM PuP, it would just be a question of what to pair it with...

Maybe I just make a pickguard to cover up the excess space...

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  6. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Heh, just heard back from Delano and they indicated i could always put it *two* Hybrid MM PuPs...

..that would be interesting, not like MM doesn't do the same on some of their high end basses...

7. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    So what is your budget, what are your preferences, and what are the physical constraints of your bass? If you have the coin for two Delano Hybrids, then that approaches the cost of an ACG filter preamp, which is hugely flexible, arguably more so than any pickup combination. But filter pres are not for everyone...

8. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    I would soft cap the budget at 500-550 for all electronics.

If costs are kinda equally distributed that would be cool so i can order piece by piece over time...

9. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Thanks, I’m assuming that’s US$? I don’t know where you’re located (hint: update your TB profile).

MovinTarget likes this.
  10. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I have a whole mess of different pickup combinations in my basses ...in fact I'm pretty sure that no two out of my eight instruments have identical electronics! ...and the one that I consistently find to be the most versatile in terms of easily accessing usable tones, is the Lakland LS-3 package: It's a dual coil MusicMan-ish humbucker in the bridge position that can be split into either one of two single-coil pickups or combined for both coils simultaneously, and then a J-type pickup for the neck position. Just the coil select switch on the bridge pickup alone let's you approximate 60s Jazz, 70s Jazz, and Stingray tones. Add the neck pu and a 3-band EQ and the world's your oyster.

I think you could use a Delano Hybrid to do something very similar.

But I love the idea of two Delano Hybrids!

MovinTarget likes this.
  11. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    What exactly do you mean with versatility? To some of us, a P can be versatile....

Simply for a number of options, I’d say quad or dual coil humbuckers. With lots of switches.

What size cavities does your kit bass body have?

12. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    LOL yes US... thanks for the reminder...

13. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    This is the kit I'm eyeing...
    Solo SB Style DIY Headless Bass Guitar Kit, Maple Neck, Ash Body | Solo Music Gear

I already have it's big brother (headless with a full ash body) and also the guitar version...
    Solo SB Style DIY Headless Bass Guitar Kit, Maple Neck, Ash Body | Solo Music Gear

https://www.solomusicgear.com/product/solo-sb-style-diy-headless-guitar-kit-basswood-body-set-neck/

I like the headless look okay??? (don't judge me!)

The Solo kits I've purchased so far have been really good quality, but I just like tinkering with the electronics to see if I can make a <$200 instrument sound like something much better.

Bear in mind that I am new to this and so the bass kit I have now is a bit of a testbed/experimental thing and I'm just trying to make a plan for my "dream" build as I get my feet under me... I have a tendency to second guess myself if I don't delve into my options a bit.

Thanks for all the input!

14. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    Oy, just looked up the Delano Hybrid MM on BestBassGear again... $400 for a pair >.<

..BUT IT'S FOR SCIENCE! (think my wife will buy that explanation?)

15. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA
    ACG EQ01 filter pre-amp looks nice, but not sure where to get a US price for it. Is considered better than most US options? Am I inviting flames of anger by opening this can of worms?

16. Skelf

Skelf

Apr 15, 2005
    Moffat D&G Scotland
    Builder AC Guitars.
    Hi
    If you are looking for a price on the ACG EQ01 just drop me a mail and I will be happy to answer any questions.

Alan

17. Loring

Loring Supporting Member

May 4, 2017
    Ontario
    You have to buy it direct from the UK - dude will still charge you the 19% VAT which I guess you could apply to get refunded. Personally since every business I deal with on that side of the pond (all of europe) discounts the VAT when shipping here, I found that a deal breaker. Never ended up buying his pre-amp. If you look hard enough there are other, similar filter based options out there.

18. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I think you can find the price for that from BestBassGear.com
    "Better" is subjective, and an unwieldy word to define, especially regarding a preamp/EQ that uses a completely different paradigm than most others on the market. I have an ACG EQ02 in one of my basses, and it definitely is capable of getting a wide variety of sounds, and it definitely is capable of getting sounds that can't easily be achieved via any other type of equalizer, and it definitely has a learning curve that may or may not make sense to you because of that aforementioned paradigm. It's an extremely well-made piece of kit, and I'm really happy I have it on that one bass...but I don't think it would be my first choice for every instrument, and especially not for any instrument where it might be required to quickly and repeatedly dial in a number of specific sounds.

ctmullins and Loring like this.
  19. MovinTarget

Jan 30, 2018
    Maryland, USA

Best Bass Gear was my first stop to check on it, says they don't carry ACG anymore:
    ACG - Best Bass Gear

TBH I would probably be more comfortable with conventional 3-4 band EQ systems + switches for Coil usage.

The reason I keep coming back to the PuPs is because the EQ most likely can't really give you something that isn't already there. You can't dial in a "P" sound if there isn't enough "P" lurking around in the signal. Same with a "J" or a "MM" sound.

I get that it would be entirely unrealistic to expect to get the full spectrum of sonic possibilities from one bass with just 2 PuPs, but I do appreciate all your comments and thought provoking suggestions (I didn't even know about filter EQs!) on how I can make it expansive.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    ctmullins and Bob_Ross like this.
  20. groovaholic

groovaholic Protect your hearing. Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Mount Prospect, IL
    A pair of Nordstrand DC with series/single/parallel switching on each pickup

Wfrance3 likes this.