Best 210 combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jason Hale, Feb 28, 2004.

1. What's the best 210 combo? $2000 limit. Around 350 watts. SWR Redhead, Eden Metro, GK, Hartke? Help me out.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I like the Redhead the best out of the 3. Clarity, versatility, and enough power to play medium size clubs. Great for the studio too.
  3. Out of those options, the favourite among this forum seems to be the Eden Metro. However, the Peavey BAM 210 has been getting a few good reviews as well if you wanna check that out.

For $2000, I think you can acquire much more than just a 2x10 combo, especially if you're willing to go used.
  4. Pöl

May 31, 2003
    From those I've played, these stand out:
    SWR Redhead:
    transparant, punch, swr-sound

Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II 210h (you forgot 'bout that one)
    clear, tube sound, punch, deep bass, subharmonizer (!) & THE LOOKS :cool:

Can't go wrong with either of these two IMO
  5. The Yorkville 400 Watt is good i've heard.
  6. moog

Jun 24, 2002
    38º 4´N 9º 8´W
    You should try a setup with a 2x10 cab and a separate amp head. I've tried that with an Eden WT-500 and an ACME 2x10 (8 ohms). I should call it Hyper Redhead! Besides, it's more practical to move around.
  7. TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    As an owner of a Peavey Bam 210, I have to give it a big thumbs up!
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Of the ones that you listed, the Super Redhead has the best tone, while the Eden Metro is the loudest and handles the low B the best(if you play a five or six).

I am a former Metro owner. Mine got stolen. I used the insurance money to buy the best 2x10 combo I could get. My choice? The Peavey BAM 210.

It is louder than the Metro, handles the lowest notes better, and has a better stock sound. It also has amp modeling and built in effects, if those things matter to you.

I miss my Metro. But if I still had it, it would just be a backup for my BAM.
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    OK more post about this BAM, and I am going to have to get one!! :D

For now, I firmly believe the Metro is the best 210 combo available.

10. ... but is it the best a 2x10 combo can be? What would the ideal 210 combo "look like"?
  11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Look like? What do you mean? My Metro looks cool, and sounds awesome.

12. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Metro, hands down.
  13. I meant what Features / Abilities / Sound / Extra's / Not Needed Things / etc.
  14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    OK Jim.....well, have a look at the Metro on Eden's site, and you'll see the best combo. I can't think of any improvements, or anything it is lacking.

For your convenience, here is a link to it right now :D

15. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I've owned a Metro and a BAM210. The Metro is not even a close second to the BAM210.

For small to medium gigs it's all you'll ever need. For bigger gigs the BAM and a 410 cab under it IS all you will need. With another 4 ohm cab under it (the BAM goes down to 2 ohms easily), it cranks out 500 watts...and the tone is whatever you want it to be...literally.

The BAM 210 (even without an extension cab) handles the low B on a five string with ease. The Metro will not handle it with any definition or volume. The BAM is named is LOUD for a combo, and with an extension, it is damn LOUD. All the tonal variety one could hope for.
  16. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I had a metro for several years. I really liked it alot, and I thought it handled my low B just fine. That being said, I will never own another combo like that. Here are a couple of reasons:

1.) I hate lugging around 90 pounds, especially when it is as awkward like a metro (re: weight not evenly distributed).
    2.) Why not seperates? You have no choices, you have to take the entire combo. I want choices!

FYI, I just sold my metro for $900 + shipping (around $120). So, deals are out there if you look and are patient.
  17. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Oh, I thought my Metro sounded great...I loved the tone. It did not really handle the low B with great definition and "tightness".

And I agree a seperate head and cab is the way to go...but if you want the best combo, get a BAM210.

Of course that is just my opinion. :)
  18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    'Nuf said.
  19. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    Thumbs up for the SWR Super Redhead. Awesome clean punch and power. I've never owned one though, this is from borrowing one only a few times, but I really enjoyed using it.
  20. finn74

Nov 28, 2001
    Fender 400 Pro