Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best 212? Heard Epifani T-212UL? AG Tri 210L?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by netefx, Apr 28, 2004.

1. I've got an Epifani T-210 which I like. I'm thinking I'll put a 212 below it. I'm not big on carrying much over 60 lbs (each) unless there is a pretty good reason. I like the clariity of the 10"s but want the fuller bass of the 12" for a Lakland 5 string. I've got plenty of amp with a QSC PLX 3402. I'm playing country, rock, r&b, and worship music these days. I'm big on clarity but with warmth. Here are my favorite ideas:

1. Epifani T-212UL (Neo type). I heard they shipped some out. Anyone have one and can provide a report? How does it compare to the NYC T-212? (Nahas told me that Neos don't handle the low end very well and are better just for mid-range.)

2. Accugroove Tri 210L with AccuSwitch. Since this is a 10" not the 12" I was thinking about, I'm wondering if there is enough beef on the low end. I'm thinking is is an option because I don't like the 15"s and my existing 210 is pretty close. This option has the advantage of running stand-alone at 4 ohms. I'm also wondering how this would mix with my Epi T-210? I'd think about running them together at 4 ohms bridged.

3. Any other good candidates for a nice 212 which would work best with the Epi T-210?

Thanks.

... Mark

2. si-fidelity

si-fidelity

Apr 13, 2004
    Australia
    The Avatar 2x12 w Foster Horn is really nice.
    If you're looking for something really really really really gorgeous: Aguilar GS 212. That cab is amazing, not being able to afford it, I played it at my local shop every time I went in... it was amazing

3. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    Since you asked, our Whappo Jr. is a 74 lb. neo cabinet. It's 800 watts at 4 & 8 Ohms with the AccuSwitch. Just another option.

Mark
    AccuGroove.com

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You beat me to it, Mark! I own a Whappo, Jr., and I suppose that it qualifies as a 2x12, though in the Jr.'s case, they are two different drivers, with each enclosed in their own "cab within a cab". With the neo drivers, it really is not too bad to lug around at all.

Tom.

5. Thanks for the responses. Couple of points (yes I do like to enumerate for clarity) : http://www.talkbass.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1430291#
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1430291#

1. I like the AG Whappo Jr. idea. (The website didn't say it had the AccuSwitch which was why I wasn't thinking about it. It says 4 ohms only.) I'd sure like to find one used. Anyone know of one?

2. I'm wondering about these Neo speakers vs. conventional 12s. Sonically, what is the difference? Is there any significant difference in low end production? The Epi dudes talk about more mids in the Neo designs. Joey Nahas says they aren't good for low end response, yet many manufactures are going to them. What's the real deal?

Thanks!

... Mark

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    According to Mark, the neo cab sounds just like the standard Jr. From my own experience, it certainly does seem to be very, very close, if not identical. I will say, though, that I could hear a difference between the NYC and UL series from Epifani, and I agree with the comments posted elsewhere on TalkBass.com regarding the differences between the two. But for whatever reason, the neo Accugroove sounds closer to the ferrous equipped cab (to me, at least).

The Whappo, Jr. is a phenomenal cab. Mine does not have the Accuswitch, but I am considering sending it to Mark to have one installed. What a brilliant idea.

Tom.

7. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    We are not your normal manufacturer. Our goals regarding Neos were simple; engineer in no compromise reliability & a perfect sound that you can’t tell from the originals, regardless of how long it took.

Epi & Nahas are correct when they say that “most” of the Neos out there are not up to the originals drivers. However, we are not like most companies where many times marketing deadlines & cost dictate what you end up with.

Mark
    AccuGroove.com

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If you like more portable, how about one 1x12 cab to add to your T210?

As in:
    Epi T112
    Berg HT112
    Accugroove Tri 112L (from what I've heard - this thing is awesome) or
    EA CxL-112L

Well, it's another option to consider.

[Uuuuh...it's also my 1000th post on TB.]

9. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    How exactly does the AccuSwitch work, or is it an AccuSecret?

10. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Yea i'm also interested in the AccuSwitch.

P.S. Have you checked your PMs lately Whappo? :p

11. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I just a/b a bergantino 210 with the accugroove tri 210. The head was a ebs td 650, set flat and two different basses through both cabs. The AG tri 210 sounded a little flater and louder and the bergantino was deeper sounding and had better highs. With epifani, bergantino, ea and accugroove your kinda splitting hairs, they all sound great! Look at the features and specs and see what fills your needs. If it were me, since you already have epi, I would stay with that.