Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best 25-35 Watt Combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Julien, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Julien

Julien

Dec 29, 2001
    Paris,France
    Hi i've been practicing bass for almost two years now and my ibanez amp just broke.
    I want to get good 25- 35 watt combo to practice at home.....i want kind of a vintage sound(but a good slap sound too)..
    What should i get???

Thanx

2. Persuader

Persuader

Feb 7, 2001
    upstate,ny
    Ampeg SB12 is one of my favorite bass tones.About 25 watts,round and full tone,great for living room and even small quieter gigs;and you could always mic it of course!

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Fender Bassman 25. Louder than any other 25 watt combo, and handles the low B string better than any I have found.

I have played churches that hold 200 people, accompanying drums, piano, organ, choir and electric guitar(no distortion) and had no problems being heard. Played a fretless 5 string, and went all the way down to C a few times, and the amp handled it well.

4. The Vox T25 is very, very, good..... imo,and verry loud for an 25 watt combo. Especialy the bassilator switch pump up the low end.
    Check it out !

5. Julien

Julien

Dec 29, 2001
    Paris,France
    i've been thinking of the bassman 25 but here in france the price is about 400 US dollars.Do you think it's worth it?

julien

6. Plucky

Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    Underwater
    ive got the laney hcm30b and its great for the price (i bought it for less than 200euros) and the compression knob helps a lot when you need a little bit more power.

7. embellisher

That depends. What other amps are in that price range?

8. Julien

Julien

Dec 29, 2001
    Paris,France
    well,the ampeg(the 30 w one) is about 500 US dollars.....but the fender and the ampeg are the most expensive ones for that power
    In this range of price there is a lot of 50w amps

9. Julien

Julien

Dec 29, 2001
    Paris,France
    well,the ampeg(the 30 w one) is about 500 US dollars.....but the fender and the ampeg are the most expensive ones for that power
    In this range of price there is a lot of 50w amps

10. Try the Vox T25, €250,- !

11. Read the users reviews on harmonycentral.com

12. embellisher

I compared the Bassman 25 side by side with the Ampeg BA110, which claims 30 watts, and has a 10" speaker, just like the Fender, and it was no contest. The Fender was much louder. And the Ampeg farted out badly on the low E, when played at high volumes. The Fender did not have this problem. Of course, the Ampeg may have been on display for a long time and the speaker may have been shot. But, bottom line, the Fender is quite a bit louder.

13. Julien

Julien

Dec 29, 2001
    Paris,France
    ok i think i'll get the bassman thanx so much for your advice

julien