Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best $25 I ever spent...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tplyons, May 5, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    NOS Peavey BAC-2 Bi-Amp Bass Chorus pedal. From what I can tell these were expensive pedals when they came out in the late 80's (this one's copyright 1987 like me!) and was untouched for years, maybe sampled once or twice in a store.

The pedal provides a subtle, creamy sustaining chorus and adds a gentle mwah to my fretless through my GK. It's the same tone I was looking for in the chorus on my Peavey Mark VI and hit it right on the nose. Wonder why? ;)

The pedal is very solid, NOS in box with manuals, shipped for $30 including Paypal fees. Sounds great, looks great, and I'm pretty sure these are hard to find!

Even the side of the pedal says the SALE PRICE is $82.50. Wonder what the original retail was?

2. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    There must be something spiffy about old Peavey choruses. I remember playing through a Peavey combo amp in a store back in '91 or '92 that had a suprisingly creamy and smooth chorus built into it.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep. I bought a Peavey Mark VI head for $20 and fell in love with the chorus on that. I wanted to get the same thing in pedal form to work with my GK for larger venues. I did.

Now that I think of it, every piece of Peavey gear has cost me less than $25. Peavey Spectrum Bass synth for $25, BAC-2 for $25 and the Mark VI head was $20. I'm on a Peavey roll here ;)

4. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I remember those- I worked for a Peavey dealer when they came out. Lots of pot problems with that pedal line, IIRC. They go scratchy and some even break off.

Ted

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Really? Wow, I hope I got one of the good ones. Anyway, I'm not gonna be using the pots anyway. Set it and forget it like Popeil rotisseree.

6. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yeah- didn't mean to scare you though. If you keep it clean you should have no problems.

I remember some other issue with the switch, but I can't remeber exactly what. Perhaps it was with the rubber that covers it breaking?

Meh...getting old!
    Ted

7. I had the guitar delay pedal from that line. It was yellow. I thought it sounded great!

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    No worries, you should know I baby my pedals. :)

9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Good stuff! I've got two of those that have served me very well over the years. You'll be very happy with that $25.

10. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    +1 on the BAC-2!

I just picked one up off ebay, $40 shipped so not quite as good a deal as you, Tim, but still well worth it. Subtle is the word! Quiet switching, no noise, and a nice shimmery chorus effect. No loss of lows because the pedal crosses at 350hZ and only the highs get the effect. It really makes the upper register notes on my fretless sing out. Haven't had a chance to fool around with the bi-amping yet, but I do like the fact that the crossover is always active if you use both outputs. 350hZ is a good crossover point for a bi-amp system. Wish I knew about this pedal before I bought my crossover!

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I heard they were straight copies of Maxon/Ibanez pedals.
    I have nothing to back it up though.

12. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I have one of those also.I got it in 97 from a drummer friend of mine.A bass player left it at his house like six years earlier and he never heard from him again so he gave it to me. That's not stealing right :eyebrow: ?

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nope, it's all good. Most people don't realize how great these pedals are. It's the one pedal I'll NEVER get rid of because they're so hard to find.

14. I've got one in my bag of tricks that I use for recording and it's one reason I still haul around the old PV MK VI head to gigs. The only difference between the chorus pedal and the bass head is the head allows you to set the crossover frequency of the chorus. I have heard the gear myth that it was based on the Maxon/Ibanez chorus and that is bunk, the choruses each have a different character.

15. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    I have never heard of the peavey spectrum synth before!

16. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I have .I'm pretty sure it's a 1 rack space keyboard synth module type thing............

17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, I had a Spectrum Bass for a while. Rigged it up with my DX-7 for some wacky stuff, tuned a fourth below, so I basically played power chords with one finger. Paid $20 for that one too.

19. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Sounds like a bit of a diamond in the rough.. maybe i will see another one float along on ebay one day.

20. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    ibought one of these beauties on Ebay a while ago. Only problem is that someone has modded it to only output from the Hi out. Does anyone have a schematic or such like they could help me out with?

oh, and by the way, i only paid £10 inc postage for mine!!!