Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best 2x10 Cab For Sound and Portability.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GeorgeG, Aug 17, 2005.

1. GeorgeG

GeorgeG Commercial User

Jun 15, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner of Bass Gear Direct
    Hi Everybody,
    I currently own a Epifani 4x10 Ultralight 8ohm, 56LBS. I am thinking of maybe off loading the Epi and getting 2X 4 ohm or 8 ohm 210 cabs ( which ever is more suitable), for a more versatile setup. ie. no need to drag a quad box to smaller gigs. The amps which I use are a WW Ultra 1200watts @4 ohms and a Eden Navigator powered by a Stewart World 1.2, 1200 watts Bridge @4 ohms. Am I on the right track in going from the Epi to a 2x210 set up for more verstility or am I am better off staying with the epi an not waste money and time. I luv the epi cab but I just dont' need to drag a quad box around to a lot of the smaller gigs. and yes it is pretty light for a 4x10. I would really appreciate some advice on this and some really good unbiased opinions on the best 2x10 boxes on the market in full range sound and portability. I've already looked at the Acme B2, Epifani 2x10, and Eden XLT & XST. If there is anything worth looking at please let me know. Hard to make up my mind, so some help would greatly appreciated.
    Thanking You all In Advance.
    George.

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Euphonic Audio NL-210

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If you can afford it, keep the Epi 410 and score either the EA NL-210 or an Accugroove Tri 210.

[Shame the Epi isn't 4ohm.]

4. GeorgeG

GeorgeG Commercial User

Jun 15, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks Guys for your input.
    Lo - freq,
    Do you think the Epi 4x10 has a better full range sound than having 2x210 boxes. I thought that having 2x210 boxes would give better low end and a louder overall sound. Have you heard if any one has compared the epi 4X10 to some of the 210 boxes , eg. Acme B2 ,Eden XLT or XST. Is the Euphonic NL-210 or the Accugroove a better alternative.
    George.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    amen,

i just put my order in for one, and cant wait to get it! :bassist:

FYI, i'm a dyed in the wool Epifani user, and tried using a pair of UL210's, but to be honest, they were really bulky and annoying to haul around. tonally, the low end was massive! but not quite as punchie or tight as a UL410. my ears preferred the more unified sound of the UL410.

so, i opted to get an UL310 to satisfy my epifani jones, and use it for my louder gigs. yet, i also use an Acme B2 2x10 for my smaller gigs. but these days, even taking the Acme can be a bit of a hassle getting in and out of cabs, on and off the bus, up and down the subway.

then, when i visited Bob Gollihur's shop, he had an NL210 for me to try, and when he first brought it out, i very surprised at how small and diminutive it was. couldnt have been bigger than a cajon or beer cooler. picking it up, the carry was very easy, and i loved the handles. but all that changed after plugging in the Acoustic Image Focus head.

despite its size, the sound was huge! big fat, thick midrange, yet more than enough volume to spare. and tho, the specs only say it hits 45Hz, my low B felt and sounded fine. and this coming from a long time Acme user! ;)

i almost went for the Accugroove Tri210, especially after a favorable time w/ its Tri112 brother. but it looks pretty bulky, too. thought about a pair of 12" cabs, but realized that no matter the manufacturer, i couldnt find that punchiness that 10" speakers had. and those Eden's you're looking at are massively heavy.

hope this helps.

6. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    Although I don't own one,I've heard a Schroeder 1210, and it sounded so awesome,I'm seriously considering getting one to go with an Aguilar amp-check out the long Schroeder Thread halfway down this page and the Schroeder website for more info. I'm curious if any of the above respondants have AB'd their reccomended cabs with a Schroeder....Peace...DAcat. :cool:

7. GeorgeG

GeorgeG Commercial User

Jun 15, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks everyone for all the info.

Jokerjkny, I saw in a previous thread that Tom Bowlus had a shoot out with 2X10 cabs. He noted that the Acme B2 sounded thicker as compared to the EA NL 210. He described the EA as a bit more thinner sounding. Your thoughts on this as you have used both. This would be very helpful.
    Regards George.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    actually,

in that shootout, tommy was referring to the CXL and VL line. he didnt have an NL series cab at the time.

btw, here's what Tom PM'ed me, when i asked him about the NL210 vs. my beloved B2:

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Sorry that I missed this thread for this long. Thank you for taking care of things for me, Joker! :p

Yes, the NL-210 would be my top choice when you say for "sound and portability." The Bergantino HT210s is another very strong contender. And, if you have tons of power, the Low B-2 is pretty portable, too, but it likes boatloads of headroom. The Tri 210L is really quite light, but it is definitely larger than the others.

Lots of good advice already posted here...

Tom.

10. GeorgeG

GeorgeG Commercial User

Jun 15, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks everyone for your help and info. I have to do a little thinking. I'll come back if there anything more I need.
    George.

11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Based on the input of various people I trust, yes.
    [Except for a pair of Accugroove Tri 210.]

I was thinking of you using the UL410 for bigger venues and a single 2x10 for smaller.

If you'd rather carry one cab for smaller venues and two cabs for larger venues then you might consider the EA NL-210 and the CXL-112L (use the NL-210 by itself or for bigger gigs add the 112).
    I've heard these really pair up very well together.

If you don't mind the bigger size, two Accugroove Tri 210 would handle almost any gig.

12. GeorgeG

GeorgeG Commercial User

Jun 15, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks lo-freq for your input.
    I've decided that I'm going to hang on to the Epi 410 UL and now just want to decide on a single 8 ohm 210 box for smaller gigs and which I can pair with epi on the bigger gigs. So out of all the 210 boxes mentioned which would be the best stand alone but would also pair well with the epi 410. I am sort leaning towards the EA NL210 or the Acme B2 because they would pair better with the epi. Schroeder 1210 would not be a good match even though may do well as a stand alone.
    Am I heading in the right direction. Does anyone have ideas on a good stand alone 210.
    GeorgeG.

13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I think you've nailed it

14. I might be missing something, since I didn't go through the entire thread, but why wouldnt' you choose the wonderful Epi210UL if one of your criterion is the 'best fit' with you 410UL :confused:

15. GeorgeG

GeorgeG Commercial User

Jun 15, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi KJung,
    From doing my research I think the Epi 210 would not cut it as well as the EA NL210 or the Acme B2 as a stand alone. What I'm trying to achieve is a Good Stand Alone 210 cab first then at the same time try match it with the Epi 410 as an add on for the main rig.
    So what do you all think, as a stand alone the EA NL210 or Acme B2. I have plenty of power to drive either one. WW Ultra 800 watts @8 ohms, Eden Navigator/Stewart World 1.2,700 watts bridged @ 8 ohms.
    GeorgeG.

16. Those are all great cabs, and it gets down to personal taste. I had an EA CXL210 and thought it sounded great, but it weighed a ton, so I got rid of it. If the new EA is similar in sound, I bet it's great, since it's relatively light. I really did not like my Acme's... even running hundreds and at one point, over 1000 watts into the 210, it just didn't put out the volume that I needed as a standalone. It sounded great, but just didn't project (boy, will other TBers disagree... so again, in my experience).

I found the 210UL a wonderful standalone 210, and I believe it's the lightest you can get. However... the 310UL is just a little bigger and a little heavier, and it really puts out the wump. So, I sold my 210UL and replaced with the 310UL So, when I need to put a cab in the back seat of a rental car, or into an equipment van, etc., I use the 310UL... it's lighter than 90% of the 210's out there, and puts out more wump given the extra speaker and slightly larger cab.

I still use the 410UL (in 4ohm version) for most of my gigs though... it is significantly louder and fuller than the 310UL... it puts out exponentially more sound and bottom if you really need to crank it.

So.... you asked my opinion :D ... I'd avoid the Acme and if you are really focused on small size... it's a toss up between the new EA210 and the Epi. If you need a little more volume, etc. but something smaller and lighter than the 410UL (I think the 310Ul is 10 pounds lighter, a few inches shorter and a few inches thinner... it's significantly smaller than the 410), then the 310Ul might be the ticket.

17. PS... the 310UL is still 5.3 ohms, so that would be a problem combining with your 410 with the WW... since it would result in less than a 4ohm load. So... it sounds to me like either the EA or the Epi210UL in 8ohms would be the ticket. I assume you have an8ohm version of the 410UL. I guess in some ways that's unfortunate, since the WW into the 410UL at 4ohms puts out the full 1200 watts... I can't imagine needing more volume than that for any gig (i.e., the need to add another cab)... inside or out. I've commented on other threads about my perception of the Walter possibly lacking a little low end punch... but the WWUltra/Epi410UL combo never lacks for volume!

18. GeorgeG

GeorgeG Commercial User

Jun 15, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks KJung,
    All your points are very appreciated. I can really see what you mean with the acmes because they are well known for being power hungry just to get the sound out there even though they have great tone. I still may go for the EA I've heard some really great reviews on that one, and that will probably take care of my fix for a EA cab.
    regards GeorgeG.

19. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Yes; efficiency-wise the Acme would not match up well with any of the Epi cabs (unless you gave each a dedicated amp channel -- and possibly seperate EQing -- quite a hassle).

I would think it would be hard to go wrong with the EA NL-210.

An audition with your equipment would be a good start if you can (preferably at a gig or practice).