Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best 2x10 cab for under $400??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HamInChains, Oct 11, 2002.

1. I'm looking for a 4-ohm 2x10 with a good amount of bottom end and clarity... enough to rival a 4x10.
    I have a SVT classic head.... what do you guys recommend for this kind of set-up?
    What has the best quality/tone for under $400 new or udes in you opinion?

2. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    If you can find one used for under $400.00 then I'd say go with an Eden 210XLT. Although depending on which 4X10 you're comparing it to you might be hard pressed to find a 2X10 that has better bottom end.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I agree with Farley. A 210XLT would run about 300-350, and you'll be hard pressed for a better cab for the price.

4. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Genz-Benz 210XB

5. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Peavey 210TVX

Try it. You'll be surprized at how good it sounds, specially if you play 5-strings. It's also very cheap.
    I also like the Ampeg SVT-210. Haven't tried the Edens.

6. I'd have to second that on the Peavey TVX... killer tone all the way down to B, heavy as #^$*, and built like a tank. For what you'd spend on a used Eden you could probably get a new Peavey!

I usually don't rate Peavey very highly... but in this case it's the exception to the rule.

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yes! Yes! More responses! I'm in EXACTLY the same situation! I need a 2x10 to go with my SVT head 'cause the 8x10 is too big and too wheel-less. Keep 'em coming!

8. I'd agree with the Eden 210xlt.I use one of those and it really does rival many 410s in output.The Peaveys are pretty good too,I had a 210TX and it worked fine.The Eden takes less power to get a decent volume and has a sweeter midrange but if price is a concern the Peaveys are OK.I've had these two and a Carvin RL210.The Carvin was very good sounding but lacked the real low end the Peavey and Eden cabs have.These are the only 210s I've had so I can't comment on the Genz Benz,but I've heard they sound good too.

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Try a Nemesis 210 if you can. It's not deep, but it's definitely clear. It's also one of the lightest 210s on the market.

10. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Second the Nemesis. With a 15 or 2x12, it owns.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Used Eden D-210XLT. There's one for sale in the FS Threads. He's asking $425 for it, but in a year or two, he'll probably realize what the correct price is for it. If you could scrape up another $100, you could get a new one.

12. My $0.02:

I recently bought a Peavey 210 TVX. I spent a good amount of time demoing different 210s. I played Eden(210T,201XLT), SWR (WM and Goliath), Mesa, Ampeg, Yorkville, Ashdown and GK. To me, the Peavey sounded as good or better than all the others except for the Eden XLT which was more than twice as expensive. It's tight, punchy, focused and clear. It also handles the B string very well. Peavey's really improved the sound of their bass gear!
    Superduck, I'm running the cab with my SVT and it works very nicely!

13. JoelEoM

JoelEoM

Mar 11, 2002
    Lancaster, PA
    check out bag end equipment. i got my 210 for 350 used, in excellent condition. ive seen other people get them for lower than that even. dont worry about wattage either. 400 watts at 4 ohms, though im not sure if the deep models are 4 or 8. im bridging an RMX850 into mine, no problems at all, and im very happy with the low end i get out of this cab.

14. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    One just went on Ebay for $375 using "Buy It Now". Or look here:

http://www.prepal.com/data/Eden.htm

Hey Munj, can you get me a BMW for $15,000?