1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best 2x10 Combo Amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Poon, May 21, 2003.

1. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hello fellow bassists.

I'm thinking about getting a Eden Metro Combo amp. Is this the best 2x10 Combo out there? Or should I consider something else? I've been told perhaps the Superredhead or one of the GK 2x10 combos, but I have never tried them out. I tried out the Metro combo and I've been very impressed. Let me know. Thank you.

2. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
  3. iplaybass

iplaybass

Feb 13, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Peavey Bam. Super combo, very loud and responsive. Or an SWR Super Redhead.

4. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Not exactly an all in one 2x10", but the best rig I've heard is an Euphonic Audio iAmp350 Combo which has a single 10" with the CXL110 matching extension cab. Blows away any 2x10" combo I've ever had. In fact, sounds better than any 4x10" rig I've had.

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    markbass 102 CX

[​IMG]

tower combo

[​IMG]

6. Well, get yer boody on down to GC and a few independent stores and try some out. I'm kinda partial to the GK combo myself;)

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    cant stand the SWR. dont care for it.

but the Eden does rock.

another cool, lighterweight combo to try is the new Ampeg Portabass 2x10. as light as a feather, yet has a nice tone.

8. Peavey BAM210 without a doubt. Amazing variety of tone, incredible volume and built in effects. The sound is indescribable.

9. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Is that the combo Peavey with all of the amp simulations? I played with that thing for about 20 minutes in a store and couldn't get a decent sound even with different basses. The salesperson couldn't either. More power to you if you can.

I love my Eden Metro. Great sound, great versatility, but heavy. I still love it.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've always been partial to the Super Redhead and Metro, but you owe it to yourself to try the Fender Bassman 400. It's less money, sounds great, and may be a better deal for you. Also, Fender have (note British-style pluralization of a collective subject) just announced the new pro bass amplification line. I'm anxious to give the new Pro 400 a try.

11. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    First thanks for not starting a poll. I bet there are a few on this topic in the archives.

As somebody said you owe it to yourself to try out as many as you can and I'm sure you will.

Lastly, I like to the Ashdown sound, so I have the ABM500. You could get the ABM900 and any 210 to go with it, but then it wouldn't be a combo. I just cut the amp section off my ABMC210-500 so I could have two lighter pieces and make it a more versital(spelling?)rig.
    I'll post a picture link of it.

12. Hey Barroso,

I saw those two combo's on the MarkBass website...
    They make very interessting Bassamplifiers and cabs... they look great too! The thing is: they are not for sale yet in Belgium, so I have to go to Germany if I want to hear and buy one. Have you ever tried a MarkBass amp? Do they sound good?
    How much do they cost in Italy?

13. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    My vote definitely goes to the Peavey BAM 210.

Simply incredible Tone and Features !!!

14. This IS a first...Just kidding Just Kidding....:D

15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    In order of preference:

Fender 400 combo
    GK 210 combo
    Ampeg PortaBass
    SWR Super RedHead

I tried the Peavey a few time & it really did nothing for me the few times I tried it. Alot of the other ones, I've never tried.

16. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I've had a Super Redhead for several years and it has served me well. Lots of power and lots of features for a combo amp, i.e. built in rack space, tuner send, speaker switch, effects loop, casters, XLR and 1/4" outs, yada yada... You can add another speaker to get 450w. That said, you could most likely buy anything you mentioned and it would work fine. What you've seen in all the responses is everyone's preference. I've played through the Metro and probably would have bought that instead of the redhead if I'd known about it at the time. But it's like Ford and Chevy. If one was objectively superior, the other company wouldn't be in business. Try 'em all and buy the one you like. 'The best 2x10 combo' is usually a matter of heated debate. :cool:

17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

440 W, 40-18000 Hz.

[​IMG]

18. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    VERY well put!!!!

19. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Eden has just beefed up the power on the Metros!

20. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Actually, if you had been paying attention in class, you'd've known a few things:

1. I've always preferred the sound of the Super Redhead over the Metro.

2. Fender's Bassman range (note British-style use of "range" rather than "line") has been moving up in my one-man opinion polls.

3. Sally Vega will NEVER skate in a T-bird uniform again, and

4. The earth's poles will shift on May 27, 2003, essentially ending life as we know it.