Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best 2x10 combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by XxBassmanxX, Nov 11, 2002.

1. XxBassmanxX

XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    whats the best sounding 2x10 combo in your opinion? Im looking at a usedGK 1001RB 2x10 and a used eden metro for the same price. What are some other good suggestions?

2. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I used to say Eden 210XLT but to me it's too edgy and harsh - now the Aguilar GS210 is for me! Nice and round, fat sound.

3. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    SWR Super Redhead or Eden Metro.

4. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    I own a Bassman 400 2X10 and I like it a lot. I liked the Bassman's tone more than a Super Redhead's when using my MIM P. The results were the opposite with my fretless Cirrus 5. However since I gig with the P more than the Cirrus, and since the store had a used Bassman in great condition for $500, the Bassman went home with me.

5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Of the ones that I have tried I would choose a Peavey BAM 210. It's sweet combo with a large ladle of gravy to add to the mix when and if it's needed. Fender's Bassman 400 isn't too shabby either. BTW Farley, did you ever get to try the BAM?

6. Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000
    I still haven't had the chance to try out a BAM, that's why I went with the SWR and Eden. I've tried both of these and loved their tones. My mother-in-law lives in Thorton, the next time I head up there I might have "be excused" for a moment and run out to the Westminster ProSound. I've heard that they regularly carry the BAM.

BTW... I've been thinking of trading my Ampeg/Peavey rig for a BAM, metro, etc.

7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I don't know what part of the state you're in but the Soundtown just west of I-25 on Alameda still has one in stock. I was there Saturday. That store is not one of my favorites to deal with but just for the sake of trying one, it may be closer if you are coming from south of Denver. Just a thought.

8. knight

knight

Nov 3, 2002
    I have been using a trace elliott 122h 2x10 plus tweeter, and I really like it, very clear, defined sound, and I got it for a great price ($850 new).

9. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    The Redhead is sweet...

and there's a used one at Bass Northwest right now!

bassnw.com

10. Yogi Bear

Aug 14, 2000
    Cool, I know where that is. I used to work at the Dixon Paper over on SantaFe and 25. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

11. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I think the Eden Metro is among the favorites here, but SWR has a new one coming out.

SWR Workingman's 2x10C

12. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    wow, that's sweet! bout damn time!

13. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    THIS IS

It's heavy, cumbersome, but
    it's all tube vintage rich modern slick
    LOUD headroom incredible toned-
    Yeah, it's the best,

14. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    in my humble opinion,
    if at all possible try to buy a seperate head and cabinet
    leaves much more room for flexibility
    that being said i would probably go with a metro or a redhead
    however.........
    i used an eden 210 xlt until just recently but after a/b ing it with a bergantino and an epifani the eden sounded too artificial and muddy in the low mids
    the epifani 310 is a big improvement over their 210 if you can accomadate it
    also, i really dig the sound of the newer and deeper bag end 210 cabinets

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

• Peavey BAM
    • Eden Metro
    • SWR Super Redhead
    • Fender Bassman 400
    • GK1001RB210

In that order.

I have never played the Ashdown 210 combo, but have heard great things about it.

Now what would really rock is if Eden would make a Metro out of the D210XST instead of the D210XLT.