Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best 2x12 cab for low end?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aenema, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    played thru a couple eden 12 xlt's at the local music store. sounded excellent but eden stuff sounds exactly like swr with increased low end and warmth, to my ears anyway. i played swr for years so i think im stearing clear of eden and swr. i really want to try out the aguilar gs 2x12. i hear its got enough low end to make the rictor scale. :hyper: anyone played this beast? can you describe the tone? would it be suitable for really loud modern rock? im interested in the 4 ohm model since the kustom groove bass head will put out 800 watts at 4 ohms and i hear the aggies like a lot of clean power. ill be making some phone calls to local aggie dealers to see if they have one in stock i can actually play. should be only a matter of weeks now before i can actually buy my rig! :bassist::hyper:

2. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    As far as 212s and deep loud tone goes, I like the epifani older, side by side 212 (havent played the new one). I have both the epi 212 and aguilar 412 and the two cabs are very close to each other both in tone and volume.

3. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

For my money, as an only cabinet I would go with 15's.
    The 12's will enhance the mids, but I would not use only 12's by themselves and try to blast with 800 watts.
    check out Jack Bruce's sound when he was with Cream or Felix Pappalardi with Mountain, fart city and all with 12's.
    I have a preference for (4x15s) or (1x18 and 2x12)

4. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    man theres an old 2x12 epi on ebay right now too. i wont be ready to buy for a few more weeks. :spit:

5. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    They come up from time to time for about $500-$650 used. Good luck.

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i havent heard the old epi but i have heard the "new" epi nyc 212 - huge. much better than the bergie (imo) which was a bit mid shy. i'm sure the aggie 212 has to be close to it as the aggie 112's are low end city. two aggie gs112's would be the bomb by themselves.

despite my reaction to their 212, to me the bergie ht322 is another cab worth a listen. very cool and deeeeeeep.

i disagree with the idea that 15's always mean deep and 12's don't. it really depends upon the drivers and cabinet design. i prefered my bag end S15 to my aggie GS112 due to volume and midrange, but the aggie definitly had more low end.

7. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    will epifani do slap bass? these cabs are being worshipped in every review ive read! if they do a good slap tone then i might scoop that cab off ebay.

8. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Yes, but they were 12" guitar cabs!

I strongly suspect that a single Whappo Jr could put out more bottom than Jack's entire Cream rig!

Alex

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well yeah, but you might not like the tone. it's hard for any of us to say. i think it's killer, but then i think the epi 310 is killer, and they sound very different. i did forget to mention the whappo jr, (and probably about a dozen other great cabs).

10. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Yes it will but...
    With the older epi 212 the 12s over power the tweeter a bit. The highs are all there but just not quite as loud as the rest of the cab. I would think the newer epi 212 would be a little better at slap but that would depend on the tone your after.

11. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I picked up a nice used Epi 212D about a month ago.
    Ran it with Sadowsky & Tobias basses.....SWR SM-500.....Trace Elliot....My big rack with the PLX2402......

I beat the snot out of that thing at an outdoor gig because it was in the car at the time and the provided backline rig was a joke...

That is a great, great cabinet. Plenty of low end, plenty of sizzel and VERY good efficiency. Like...103db or so.

If I wasn't so in love with Acme. it would be my primary box for sure,

12. jpo259

jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA
    I have two Aguilar GS-212s'. EXCELLENT cabs for rock. I power them with a QSC PLX-3402. Each cab, wired in 4 ohms, gets 11OOW. INCREDIBLY clear and powerful!! I almost always use JUST ONE. Two is a WALL OF SOUND!!! One has stood me well in large and small clubs and outdoor gigs. I try to get it elevated some, though, ESPECIALLY for slap. I do this so I can hear/feel the dynamics better. Very clear and focused cabs. Plenty of low end without 15" 'mud'. (I have two 115 cabs and 1 2x15 cab. I don't use them anymore). Anyway, just my $.02!!!

edit: Just looked at the Aguilar and Epifani sites. Both 212 cabs are almost identical spec-wise. The Epi is lighter in weight, though. And rated a little more for power handling.

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Did you listen to two Eden 1x12's, or the 2x12? I have found that despite the fact that Eden's website lists the 1x12 as having a deeper frequency response, I thought the 212XLT sounded much more full, deep, and just better overall than the 112XLT.

The Epifani T-212 is a really excellent cab, and it has lots of low end. I have two T-112's, and they have the most lows of any 1x12 I have tried.

Bergantino made a killer 2x12, but you'll have to beat me to the trigger if one comes up used. :p

Technically, the Accugroove Whappo, Jr. is somewhat of a 2x12, and of course, it rools like Ozzy!

Dr. Bass and Low Down Sound are other good options for an affordable, but excellent, cab.

14. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    but they will do a decent slap with a decent amount of sizzle? i dont use a whole lot of tweeter when i slap. i like my tweeters turned up just right. ;) my 2 main tones are big low and low mid groove bass with all the highs and high mids cut and i play traditional slap with your everday mid scoop. think the epifani will cover those 2?

15. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    they didnt have a 2x12 xlt. only 2,1x12 cabs so i couldnt really compare.

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA

17. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The old Bergie 2/12 cabs have massive low end with a very nice top end....perfect for slapping :bassist: IMHO

18. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    This 2 x 12 cabinet features a horn, and boasts a 29Hz - 16KHz response. The top half of the cabinet is angled back for better projection.

I just bought one (on sale at Sam Ash for $399), but I've yet to try it out.

I have used Hartke speakers for many years, and I love my original XL series cabinets. I have heard that since Samson acquired them, their quality has changed, and I've also heard that the Transporter line is not nearly as good as the original XL series (the narrower claimed frequency response of the Transporter line supports this). However, the 2200 is considered to be a member of their "professional" line and is made of 3/4 plywood, and thus offers hope of being similar in quality to the XL series.

The price was right, the cabinet is relatively compact, and I have hopes that it will suit my needs. I've been looking for a cabinet with 12s, and I'm really hoping that this is it. I am a fan of aluminum drivers, and I do believe that they deliver crisper transients.

I will post my impressions after I play my contra- and subcontra-basses through it.

19. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Schroeder 1212. :eyebrow:

20. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Felix used 15s with mountain.

Entwistle used 12s with The Who, and never had a farty tone (Swansea '76 is an exception, and that was WITH 18s).