Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best 2x15 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ndjx, Jun 11, 2002.

1. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    They're not as common these days it seems and I'm not looking for any "10's are better" respones I'm just curious who makes some good 2x15 cabs.

2. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    I'd say the Mesa Boogie Diesel. I had one and it was awesome but I sold it because it was too heavy and I bought two eden 115xlt cabs. Eden makes a 215XLT which probably is pretty bad ass. SWR makes a 215. I sure there are plenty others as well.

3. The Eden 2x15 is nice.

There is a used Boogie Road Ready 2x15 around here for $600 that I would buy if I was 4 inches taller and had a strong back. Incredibly loud and responsive cab, but heavy as anything.

Greg

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ive played the Mesa, the SWR, and the Hartke, and I was unimpressed with the tone out of the Mesa and SWR.

They didnt sound like I think 15's should. I figure, If youre gonna carry all that weight around, It might as well sound heavy.

The Hartke was pretty damn good though, and I wouldnt doubt that the Eden is either. If I remember right, the Hartke looked to be a reasonable size too. I think it was really the design and arangement of the speakers that made it look more manageable.

In the end though, I have come to the conclusion that the 2-15" cab I built is the best i have ever played. It is loaded with Carvin speakers, a crossover circuit and, a tweeter. I tuned the cab to 30Hz, and I get nothing but pure bass goodness. Since I have the tweeter I dont loose out on the highs, and I have wired a bypass switch to the system to bypass the crossover and tweeter. The Carvin speakers are good, but not the best. Their specs made a big box nescessary (7 cu ft), but they do handle alot of power. If I wouldve discovered Eden by the time I was building it, I probably wouldve built it with Eden components.

Peace
    Nick

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I own a Mesa Boogie RR and an Eden D215XLT. They're both superb. The Boogie is a little fatter (and weighs a freakin' ton) and the Eden has a better top end and great tilt-back design which makes it easy to load in/out. I dig 'em both for different reasons.

6. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Ok few more questions. What does everyone feel is a good amount of power for a 2x15 cab? I know they're all have different wattage handling (is that even the term?) but lets say at the minimum. Which cab has the best high end? Oh yes and could anyone give me the pounds on these things? I'm thinking it'd probably be better to buy 2 1x15's instead...

7. For the Eden specs:

http://www.edenelectronics.com

For the others, I dont know, except the used Boogie i was talking about here is 800 watts. Weight? Heavy as all hell :)

Greg

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    A pair of Bag End S15-Ds...

9. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm really amazed at how a pair of these sound! One was good, but two are great.

1 + 1 = a whole crapload of punch, thump and tone. A pair will fit in my car trunk, unlike a 2x15. And you don't need two men and a small boy to lift them in the car.

10. i have a SUNN 2x15, happy with it,

11. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Where do you buy Bag End cabinets? I'm assuming you have to purchase them at a store because I haven't found any place online that sells them. I don't even think any of the stores in Minnesota have them either...

12. I got an old Acoustic 215 10$ cause is sounded like @#$%^. the worst I've ever heard. Turned out the driver were wired out of phase. One went in while the other out. easey fix. I got a Sunn 300t it looked ridiculus on my 115 an 112. I dug out the cab and loaded it with 2 JBL E140 drivers. Holet crap. load and deep. No tweeter but it can still rip. Big difference with the JBL 15. New Wheels and grill cloth mke totally gig worthy.Still is bitch to move.
    Rock on Benton

13. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Surely someone here must know where Bag End cabinets can be purchased.

14. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Bass Northwest in Seattle has them.

15. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Chuck Levin's, too. I prefer BNW, though - I bought both of mine through them, and took factory delivery.

16. fatrhino

fatrhino

Jan 2, 2000
    "What does everyone feel is a good amount of power for a 2x15 cab? I know they're all have different wattage handling (is that even the term?) but lets say at the minimum."

I used 600 watts and NEVER had trouble being heard. My mesa handled 600. I'd say keep it above 300 watts if competeing with a guitar player and drummer.

17. pike66

pike66

Apr 28, 2001
    Long Island NY
    Hi all.
    I'm actually going to stack two ampeg classic 1x15's.
    I have a 410 rig but I want to experiment a little.
    --pike--

18. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Hey Pike lemme know what you think I was actually looking into getting on of those SVT 1x15's.