Best $300 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bobito, Dec 26, 2004.

1. I just got 300 dollars for christmas to buy a new amp and I am going to try some out at guitar center. was wondering if anybody has any suggestions? I was thinking about the fender rumble 100...
  2. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    For 18 more bucks you could get this
    Ashdown is very high quality stuff and lots of guys here on TB use ashdown gear or have used it.

Pluss you get more watts. 180 as to 100.

Some may disagree with me on this but.

If i'm looking for a amp/cab. I'd like to stick with a company that is known for making good amps and cabs.

Like ampeg,GK,bergintino,aguliar ect.

If i'm looking for a decent bass I'd like to look at companies who sell and make good basses.

warwick, zon, G&L, just to name a few.

What is fender known for? Making guitars? Not amps so thats sort of my 0.02$
  3. thanks, that ashland sounds awesome. problem is, I want to try before I buy and there arent any stores near me that carry ashland products.
    *edit* ashdown, not ashland :D
  4. + 1 FOr the ashdown EB series. I had the 12 and it rocked. Warm sounding and plenty loud to keep up with drummer. Midrange emphasis.

Edit- get the older stock, british made ones. They are the 180 and below series. For example, EB 112 180.

On your budget you should not restict yourself to things only availible locally. It is slim pickins' for $300.
  5. TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Most of the mail order sites have a 30 day return policy, if you don't like it you can send it back. I agree with these guys the Ashdown would be the way to go!!
  6. What is the difference in the british ones? Like are they just better quality or different features?
  7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Keep your eyes open for a Nemesis combo from Eden. Great way to get a piece of Eden gear on a budget. I know someone selling the 115 combo.

I have seen an Ashdown combo for sale here at the TB For Sale forum recently.

8. If you can get into a Nemises combo for 300 or under, then I would whole-heartedly recommend those. Lots of warmth and boo-tay.
  9. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Since when did Fender lose out on the amp market? They've been making great amps for a long time and have just as high a reputation for their amps as their guitars and basses. Think bassman. All the modelling devices start with Fender amps. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not pro fender, mind you, but that statement is misleading and not true.
    I've have a Carvin PB200 combo for the past 7 years and @$400, still, is a pretty good bargain and it sounds fantastic. Carvin also has the PB100 for $300.
  10. Reported to be better quality. Plus it is cool knowing they don't make them anymore, so that "Made in England" label will follow the amp as a marketing pitch for the rest of its life. It has hand written serial numbers. Another thing is that brits tend to under rate solid state power amps.
  11. so say that I want to order the EB 180 online. which online stores are the most dependable? MF doesnt carry ashdown so...theres music123, zzsounds, and a crapload of other stores. any recommendations?
  12. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    If you're limited to a budget, bide your time and stalk a deal.

I have seen great deals on smaller Ampeg, Fender & SWR bass combo amps at Guitar Center in the past couple of months, like 60%-75% off MSRP on new gear. All the stuff I saw was under $300. Ampeg BA series, Fender Rumble and Bassman and some SWR combos. I bagged an Ampeg BA-112 for $159.99 because I wanted a little practice amp to compliment my big stuff. There was a Bassman 100 for around $250. Seems like every other weekend there's a deal on this gear.

GC, for all their other foolishness, does have really good return policies if you don't like the amp.
  13. Then explain why a Fender Twin Reverb is probably one of the most played-and recorded- amps on the planet.
  14. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I think the Fender comment was just commenting on the idea that Fender's not very popular among many bass players for their amps. However, their 400 Pro combo and 800 Pro head are great, IMO. They own SWR now, so they are undoubtedly borrowing technology from the SWR designs.

As far as the bassman goes... those are most popular nowadays for guitar players, who rewire them.

I don't know any bass players who use Fender amps. Guitar amps, sure, but not bass amps.

Back on topic...
    For $300 and under, I'd try to get a Genz Benz combo of some sort. You should be able to get a GB 112, 115, or 210 combo used in that range.

If not a GB, I think the Ashdowns are great as well as the SWR Workingman combos (112 and 115). Also, a 120W Hartke Kickback 12 wouldn't be bad. It should be in your price range used.
  15. sounds like I will be taking a trip to GC. I would love to get an Ampeg on sale!
  16. Scamp

Jul 18, 2003
    MF is clearing out the bassman's right now a 100 is at 300 bucks which is very hard to compete with.
  17. yes that is a great deal, however it will be about $60 more with shipping and WA tax. so I scrapped that idea...
  18. chunky

Nov 3, 2004
    Portland Oregon
    I loved my Peavey TNT 15 combo. I picked it up for 300 used.
  19. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I'm not trying to bash fender for making amps, which was why i said in my post that "some of you will disagree with me" i said that i would prefer getting an amp from a company that is known for and specilizes in amps.

Plus i hear alot of bad stuff about SWR now that fender has bought them.