Best 34" scale 5 string under a grand???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rumzini, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I was thinking of making the jump to a 5 string but I'm finding the ones that are in my area to play are all 35" scale...which I'm trying to get away from. My Ibanez BTB 4 string is 35". I'm playing original meatl but want to learn all genres....sooooo the question stands.
  2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I'm selling my MM SR-5................. :)
  3. TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    I really like my Ibanez SR905. It's a 34" scale and the B string is good and tight. You can get one of these for about $750.00. The string spacing is a bit more narrow than your BTB though.
  4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you are talking about new basses, I strongly recommend the Tribute L-2500 by G&L. Mine has a really great sound and is very versatile. It can get a great P-bass sound with the neck pickup soloed. It can approach the J-bass sound too. With the humbuckers full blast, it just sounds like a great G&L.
    THe B-string is super tight. The B-string on my Tribute is actually less flabby than the B on a deluxe USA L-2500 that I have played. I got my Tribute for about $600. Many folks have gotten them for even less than that. I have owned much more expensive basses, and my Tribute is very comparable to many $1,500-2000 instruments.
  5. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Well if the string spacing on that Ibanez is smaller than mine it's a no go. I need wide spacing, for instance....I played a Lakland Skyline 55-01 the other day and really enjoyed the's just that it's 35" scale. I gotta work my fingers to much on them. I used to have an MIM Jazz 4 string with EMG pickups...I'm borrowing it right now from the guy I sold it to and after not having it for a year I find that 34" is my thing...I just want/need the extended range. I've also come to find that I like the Jazz's sound much better, and easier to dial than my Ibanez.

I've also found that i like the Warwick sound. The other day I made my first trip into a guitar center and played ...well...every 5 string there. I found that I liked out of them all was a Rockbass Corvette of all things! It seemed to have the punchiest and fuller sound. I tried a Spector Euro that seemed nice to but the sound just wasn't as nice sounding as the Corvette....I do realize thought this is guitarcenter and strings are probably dead, old, and quite hammered on. Still the Rockbass was quite a surprise. I was hoping that they would have some Fender Jazz 5 but they didn't....

Anyways....I ramble.
  6. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Given your budget, like of jazz basses, and need for wide spacing, methinx a used RB5 is the way to go. They can be found VERY clean for around 700 or less. Watch ebay, they pop up every once in a while.

7. Fender Roscoe Beck 5.
  8. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Grrrr...for the life of me I can't find any pics of this RB5...what makes it so special besides must be famous dude that I've never heard of...sorry. Fill me in.
  9. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    You might want to consider looking at a used cirrus. A 5 can be had as low as 800, and having the 35" isn't a big deal and really adds to the tone of the B on a lot of basses.

Sure theres lots of 34's that have great B's, but not for under a grand :)

10. Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Carvin LB75 or BB75, if you buy new they are under a grand and if you buy used the can often times be had for $500.
  11. Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd actually double what this guy is saying. Getting a used Cirrus is an excellent way to go. This is one of the few basses that I can't really feel the 35" scale. The tone and craftsmanship is stunning. However, you said you wanted wide string spacing, and I believe the cirrus can only go to 17.5mm, but it is adjustable. You said you like Lakland's feel and sound, so I'd recommend not discounting laklands. To be honest I think they are incredible basses (as I own 2). I may not be the best person to help you as I only play 35" basses.
  12. Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Actually I've played a couple of Cirruss's (?) at the local shop, (they only carry them and Ibanez). I wasn't quite comfortable with them either. I did love the sound I was getting out of the had a maple neck/fretboard...just seemed to have the tone I was getting for with the Jazz but only brighter and more clearer with more thump...I could dial in more growl to but just don't like the stretch. Seems I have to do more with my pinky finger on a 35".

I do appreciate everyones input though...sorry to be picky.
  13. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    How about one of the wood-necked Status Energy/Emphaty basses they made in the Nineties? I absolutely love mine. Too bad they've been discontinued.
  14. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    What makes the RB5 so special: Spacing. It is essentially a jazz bass spacing, across 5 strings. Wide-ish neck, wide bridge. Electronics: Passive, but with TONS O' options. Single volume/tone. 3 way switch. Nothing special there. The tone pot is a switch which kills the neck P/U just a smidge, so that when using both pickups together, you can slightly favor the bridge. Keeps it nice and "bridge-y" without the "solo'd bridge P/U" burpy/farty mid tone some guys find too thin. Each P/U is a dbl coil, and has single/parallel/series switching. This allows you to have "vintage jazz" type tone in single, or similar/slightly hotter in parallel (or series, forget) then "completely different beast" in series (again or parallel). Also, string thru and a gotoh bridge works well. Pickups are not your average pieces either. Bill Lawrence ( if I recall) did these for Fender/Roscoe, and the magnet size/strenth is different under each string, to compensate for string mass, etc etc. All in all, one of the best-est and most versatile passive 5s out there, and a steal on the used market. I had one in my hot little hands for a cupla weeks, but couldn't afford it at the time. Currently on my GAS list.

15. TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    The Fender Roscoe Beck is a 35" scale, he wants 34" scale but your right that is a fantastic Bass!!
  16. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I'm pretty sure its 34"
  17. He needs to be more open minded. that extra inch doesn't change that much. hell, mine's a 36".

Those RB5s cut through live really well.

I really like the warwick flashback fortress, also no longer made. A five just sold on ebay for 600.
  18. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    SCALE LENGTH 34” (864 mm)

19. Who is roscoe beck anyway?
  20. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Wonderful player from Texas: