1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best 4-ohm cab for EA iAmp 800

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jazzdogg, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I recently got one of Euphonic Audio's iAmp 800 amplifiers, and I've been very pleased with the sound, especially when amplifying my DB through an EA VL208. :D Alas, the VL208 isn't loud enough for most of my electric gigs. :bawl:

I've been using an 8-ohm Dr. Bass 2460 as my main cabinet with electric bass for the past few years, and I'm looking for more output than it's delivering with the iAmp 800. I play 5-string electric basses strung with TI JazzFlats, I don't slap, and I dial back the treble on my bass to get rid of fret clatter. That said, I love the clarity, timbre, testicular fortitude, and presence of the iAmp.

I'm interested in 4-ohm cabinet recommendations that are likely to be a good match and won't run short of clean volume. I'm especially interested cabinets that'll enable me to hear myself clearly, even when I'm standing next to them - one of the few shortcomings of my Dr. Bass 2460 (aside from me choosing an 8-ohm cabinet :meh:) is that I can't hear myself clearly unless I'm standing at least six feet away from it.

Thanks!

2. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    HT210S

3. lazyone2

lazyone2

Jul 27, 2006
    new jersey shore
    Why not just put a DR112LF under it. You would be at 4 ohms and with the speaker raised you will hear it fine.

4. Jazzdogg

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks for the suggestion, Allex. I haven't heard the HT210S yet, but I've read some glowing reviews about it - and other Bergantino cabinets.

My experience with short cabs has been that they tend to shower my knees and ankles with the best parts of their output, and leave my ears wanting more - unless I tip 'em back, elevate 'em, or have a stage large enough to get at least six feet from 'em. If the HT210S is an exception to this rule, I'll be VERY pleased! :)

5. Jazzdogg

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks for your suggestion. :) For larger gigs I stack a 2460 & 1580, driven by a B1500.

What I'm trying to find is a single cabinet I can hear clearly on small to mid-size stages, that makes the most of the iAmp 800's available power, and produces more clean volume than either my 8-ohm VL208 or 8-ohm 2460 when driven by the iAMp 800.

6. Maybe a 2460 in 4ohm version? They sure are a good value. I can't think of another cab that would approach that price and be large enough to actually handle the increased wattage from 8 to 4ohms.

I also find the Schroeder 1212L to be a very good match with the iAmp heads. Since the 1212L (4ohm) is SO lower mid voiced, the power and deep low end of the iAmp800, along with the EQ (the contour 1 preset actually works pretty well with the 1212L) really evens that cab out. However, it's still surely not 'flat and even', but it's small, loud, and punchy as heck. And, the low mid response of that cab (even with the wide, open, pure tone of the iAmp) makes it reasonably easy to hear on stage when standing on top of it, even though it's very low to the ground.

7. Jazzdogg

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks, Ken; sounds like a contender!