Best 4 ohm cab for rock gig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by drewie, Jan 20, 2002.

1. drewie

Jan 20, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    Hi everybody,

This is my first post here at TalkBass so here goes...

I play in a rock band playing original material. I am looking to replace my two 8 ohm cabinets for a single 4 ohm cabinet. My rig consists of an active 5 string bass and Ashdown 400w head. I need a lot of punch in the mid range with good treble and plenty of lows. Do I go for 10's or 12's or maybe even cabinets with a combination of speakers. My band uses a 600w PA with a separate powered sub cabinet which I DI through (nice!). I've spent the last week trawling through all the manufacturer sites and my brain is aching!! I will definitely be trying before buying but I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions - I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks.
  2. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I've been using an Ampeg BSE 410, the one that is ported (I believe it is the HLF?) I use it with a 400 watt workingman head, and about all I am playing is rock anymore... definately something you might want to look at...

3. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    ok, here goes...

10 inch drivers = tight punchy
    12 inch drivers = a balance of everything
    15 inch drivers = lots of bottom end
    18 inch drivers = serious bottom end

The higher the measurements for the driver, the less defined the sound becomes. And the more 'boomy' it becomes. I'd suggest 10 or 12 inch speakers, 10's being my personal preference.
    A good 4 ohm cabinet for your needs is the Ampeg 410HLF. Tight and punchy with 10 inch speakers but ported for alot of bottom end (which will be great for your 5 string). Then again, you should check out some other good cabinet makers;

Gallien Krueger
    And more that I'm sure others will mention, oh, and welcome to Talkbass!
  4. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    What size cabinet were you looking at? A small (2x10 for eg.)? A medium (4x10 for eg.) A large (2x15 for eg.)?
  5. drewie

Jan 20, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    Thanks for your comments guys.

I thought about 212's but I'm unsure as to whether they will shift enough air alone. I will probably go the 410 or 412 route to be on the safe side. The Ampeg cabinet that you mention is on my hotlist. My budget is roughly £800 ($1100). The manufacturers I'm looking most at are Ampeg, Ashdown, EBS, Eden, Tech Sound Systems (check the 412 specs on their website!).

Is it best to get a cabinet with more headroom?
    i.e. 600-800 watt RMS when running them through a 400 watt head?

Thanks again.
  6. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Its always a good option if you can afford to as you don't really have to worry about overpowering the cabinet. For example, I have a 500 watt 8 ohm cabinet but my head can only do 200 watts in 8 ohm mode.
  7. I recommend you try an Eden 410XLT. I absolutely love mine! :)

I was worried a 4 x 10 wouldn't deliver a good bassy tone, but it has really impressed me... and our regular gig goers!

They do 4 and 8 ohm versions. I found the Bass Centre really helpful and they also gave me a really good price - check them out!
  8. You might want to look at the ACME B4.
  9. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    Peavey 412! or a peavey 810.