Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best 4 ohm cab to pair with an Eden 210 XST???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chunky, Dec 9, 2004.

1. chunky

chunky

Nov 3, 2004
    Portland Oregon
    I plan on purchasing a second cab for when I want to be stupid loud. Mostly, I just want to move lots of air. It can't be a super huge cabinet, as this cab will be replacing a big sunn 2x15 folded horn and part of the idea is to save a little space, and maybe get something I can fit in my passat.

Schroeder 21012 - Nice size. Supposed to get pretty deep, right?
    Bergantino 610 - I've only heard good things about this cab. I expect the Eden might have a bit more bass response, and the pair might sound nice together. Cost?
    Bergantino 2x15 - I haven't found any reviews of this cab. I'm intrigued though. Cost?
    Eden 2x15 - I've never heard a 15 inch speaker enclosure made by eden, so I'm in the dark on this one. Any comparison to the Bergantino? It's a little bigger than I'd like to go, also.
    SWR Henry the 8x8 - I've only heard good things. Lots of punch, good volume.

That's really just a start. I'm generally partial to the idea of a 15 or 2. I play mostly noise/garbage. I won't be making this ourchase for about a year. Right now I'm mainly looking for contenders to try to hunt down and try out. :)

My only real guidelines:

It has to be a 4 ohm cab.
    My budget is around 1k

Any suggestions?

2. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

If your 210xst is 4 ohm, get a 410xst 4 ohm. If yours is an 8, then get an 8 ohm xst, Then you will have a 6-10 xst stack. That would be KILLER! Assunming that your amp can handle these impedences.

3. chunky

chunky

Nov 3, 2004
    Portland Oregon
    My amp can handle 2 ohms. Or 4 ohms. Or 8 ohms. There isn't a 2.667 ohm selection on the back though, so I'm hesitant about getting an 8 ohm cab to run with my 4 ohm cab. I'd really just rather not, you know?

Hmmm... a 4x10 XST... that could be pretty awesome!
    :hyper:

4. I believe if an amp can handle a 2 ohm load, it can handle a 2.6 ohm load. Not 100% sure about that though.

5. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I had a D410 xlt and a D210xlt and they both were 8 ohm cabs. When I ran them in parallel, the amp saw one 4 ohm mono load and the whole stack was even in volume.! I really kinda liked that setup. MMMMMM????, I still have my 4-10 :meh:

6. chunky

chunky

Nov 3, 2004
    Portland Oregon
    With a solid state head, I'm sure you'd be correct. With an all tube head though, I'm not so sure. I think I've read that if I selected the 4 ohm output option and ran it at 2.67 ohms you'd be ok, but I'm not sure, and hell, I'd just as soon run my amp at one of the specified output values. It isn't too much of a bother to find larger cabs that are 4 ohms.

BTW, my "senseless GAS gut feeling" is telling me that I need to buy the Bergantino 2x15. Never heard one though. :D

7. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Why not add a second 210XST? I played one in a store and was very impressed. If you like the tone you have now, but just want more for loud gigs, having two of the same cab will give you a very fat yet balanced sound. I had an Eden 210T and 210XLT I used together...I miss that rig. Another option would be to add the 210XLT to your XST...you'd get the full lows of the XST and the characteristic Eden punch with the XLT.

If its a 15 you really want, the Bergantino HT115 will stack nicely with your Eden. Its more powerful than the Eden 15 but not as boomy due to the smaller size.

8. wildsponge

wildsponge

Oct 21, 2004
    Novato, CA
    That's probably Eden's least popular cabinet. I forget why. Having said this, I haven't played one ever. I'm just saying that if you're interested in this one, make sure you play it before buying.

9. While a good suggestion, the HT115 is 8 ohms. He's looking for a 4 ohm cabinet.

10. I had a SWR Henry 8x8 once. It was pretty good but by today's standards not one of my favorites. It's pretty heavy and cumbersom too. I remember trying to bring it down a flight stairs by myself once and lost my balance.... I wish someone would have had a camcorder (at the time) and got me riding it down like a sled. My bandmates daughter saw it happen and almost wet herself laughing. It's an old favorite story with my old band.

11. :D

12. chunky

chunky

Nov 3, 2004
    Portland Oregon
    That's really funny. Thanks for the heads up!

13. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    You might check out the Avatar 2x12 cab. I've played their 15's and am now running 2-2x10 cabs pushing my Eden WT-330 to 2 ohms and it sounds awesome. If you want a little more bottom, the 12's will pull it yet still give a good tight response... and Dave's cabs are half the price of the nationals. Even at that, I DONT think you give up any quality, he uses Eminence speakers....

Good luck on your quest!!

14. chunky

chunky

Nov 3, 2004
    Portland Oregon
    The 2x12 avatar is a nice cab, but I just sold an 8 ohm one and I'm not really looking to pick up another one.

15. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    hmmm in case you decide to stay a bit more compact, how about one of the epifani 12"ers? if you like that aggresive dark sound.

i love my 210xst, if only they made a similiar sounding neo version though, i dont know how you guys move cabs bigger and heavier than these things!

16. /see sig :D