Best 4 String Bass for Hard Rock............

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ibanezist, Apr 20, 2002.

Best 4 string for Hard Rock

Poll closed Jun 24, 2003.
  1. Ibanez BTB

16 vote(s)
  2. Ibanez SR4

10 vote(s)
  3. Ibanez SRX

12 vote(s)
  4. Warwick (explain the model, I don't know much about em)

37 vote(s)
  5. Spector

42 vote(s)
  6. Fender Jazz

43 vote(s)
  7. Fender Precision

126 vote(s)
  8. Yamaha

18 vote(s)
  9. They all suck

32 vote(s)
  1. Ibanezist

Mar 24, 2002
    What is the best 4-string hard rock bass model, in your opinion, under $900. If I didn't include it in the poll then just say which one it is.
  2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I voted Fender Precision, because among your list it seems to me to be the most fitting one. And I remember having seen numerous hard-rock bassists playing PB's.

However, I think an excellent bass for hard rock is a Rickenbacker 4001. You can easily find one used for $ 900 and it sounds and plays great.

Just my opinion...

All the best,
  3. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    My vote is for a Rickenbacker 4001 or 4003. I'm strictly a Ric player nowadays so I am a tad biased:D
  4. liran

Dec 18, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Fender Precision. They really have a great grinding cutting through tone. Bottom line THEY ROCK!
  5. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    P Bass is Armenian for "hard rock"! :p
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Of the ones that you have listed, a P bass or a J bass gets my vote.

Best 4 string that I have ever heard and played for hard rock? Gibson RD Artist.
  7. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    1.- Gibson Thunderbird IV

2.- Fender P-Bass

3.- Ric 4003

......your welcome!!!:p
  8. Yamaha's are good.. very well constructed and good tone.
  9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Fender Precision.
  10. I could'nt vote for 3 basses, so I did'nt at all....because there are only 3 basses for hard rock (or any other kinda rock for that matter) Ric's,P's and J's. !! everything else is bassicly;) a mutation of those three.
  11. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    you gotta go with the p-bass, for "that sound..." But I also really dig j's...

12. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Hmmm interesting. Some people might not understand the term *hard rock*. Bands like Godsmack, Staind, 7 Dust these are hardrock bands. Godsmack, Staind, Limp, Korn all use Ibanez. Warwick fills quite a few peoples' hands in the hard rock world. POD, Stinkubus -- they use Warwicks. There are some Spector users. Very few if any use Fender or Ricks.

Really, hard rock is a different animal these days. Lots of bottom. Some say a lack of talent (Korn). But really it all boils down to filling your spot. Hard rock requires lots of angry deep bass. It doesn't always require steller riffs. Audiences just like to feel the big bottom. So, any bass that can produce that will do. The bass also has to look the part. And that rules out some of the artsy fartsy names in the industry. Not that it should be that way but the music business is a bit superficial.

Stay loud...
  13. Ibanezist

Mar 24, 2002
    Thanks for the statement Kurt, I agree with you. Somethin with a good thick sound. Incubus's bass sounds great which is a Warwick but personally I prefer an Ibanez. I like the EDB 4 stringer (which I failed to enter in the poll). Keep up the votes!
  14. I'm with jaylanb and incubus2432. Rickenbacker - the ULTIMATE pop/rock bass!

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  16. These bands you listed are more *Nu-metal* than hard rock.

Anyway, I voted Fender P.

Any what stlye of Yamaha? Yamaha makes quite a few different styles of basses, several of which would fit quite well into hard rock.
  17. P BASS!!!

J Bass and Ric are close behind. :D
  18. yup! I vote for Stingray also!
  19. Why not just see what bands you like use?
  20. Ibanezist

Mar 24, 2002
    That's a good idea. I'm not doing this for suggestions for me to go buy one, just wanted to have a poll of opinions. Actually I'm with Kurt M. I'm talkin about new hard rock bands. But it doesn't matter really.