Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best 4-string fretless under $1000?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BartmanPDX, Feb 2, 2005.

1. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I have just ordered my new bass (Lakland DJ5 w/J-retro), and I know my best friend will soon be getting a case of bass envy. He's mentioned that he wants to get a fretless in the next few months. I'm thinking he's willing to spend up to about $1000. In that price range, what basses should he be looking at? I'm not sure how he feels about new/used, so I guess this is a two-part survey:

What would you recommend as the best 4-string fretless under $1K brand new?

What used fretless basses in that price range should he be looking at?

Thanks!!!
    Bart

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    FOr used, you can often pick up a warwick thumb fretless for under $1k.. best warwick fretless by far I think. G&L makes some impressive fretless basses under $1k, and even better ones used for the same price, haha. I can't remember if the Fender MIA jazz comes in fretless, but that woudl be easily under $1k if you coudl find a used one. Someone check me on that. I know there are hordes, but the only fretless basses I've owned are cheapie conversions and a nice custom, but not the in between range.

3. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I would suggest a Lakland 44-01 fretless...

Great mwah, value pricing, great company...

For used, I'd be looking at Fender Deluxe J's and Lakland 44-02s