1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best 410 for good-classic tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CLMSHQ, Aug 9, 2007.

1. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    I need advise. I have a Fender 300 Pro all tube head(figure 900wts). I am looking for a good 410 cab to match and get the Skynyrd-Bad Company Bass sound. The head can do it but my current cab set up is not as smooth as I would like-Fender Bassman 410 and 115= 600wts. I am looking towards an Epifani Neo 410 Performer, Peavey Tour Neo410, Agulair DB 410, or the Carvin BXR NEO410-which are made well and I had the 210 and liked it.

Which cab will help me get the sound I am looking for?

Expert advise needed.

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    How do you get 900 watts out of your 300 Pro all tube amp?

3. bassko

bassko

Nov 10, 2006
    I think he means his amp is as loud as solid state 900w amp;) ;)

You should check out ampeg, fender, ashdown cabs for classic tone;)

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    There are a number of very excellent 4x10's on the market, but if you plan on using it with an all tube head like your Fender 300, I strongly recommend the Sadowsky SA410. This cab was designed by Jim Bergantino, and he had tube amplification specifically in mind (and therefore designed them to withstand the greater cone excursion normally associated with tube amps). This cab has been discontinued, but Jim Bergantino has a few left and is currently blowing them out for quite a discount (not sure on the price, but it's under $700).

And yes, this is my honest opinion, based upon my own firsthand experience, and YMMV. ;) :p

Tom.

5. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    Exactly- The manual states to figure 900 solid state wts.
    I like the sound of the Ampeg 410HLF but it is rated 500wts...I would say at least 600-700wts on the safe side.
    I had Ashdown Mags before and for the $, the cabs, not the amp because the transformer went after a month, sounded very warm.
    What about Agulair or Epifani?

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

A huge +1. You'll get great tone, and with that closeout price you won't find a better bargain!

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The SA410 at 699 is a STEAL and is exactly what you're looking for.

8. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Not to hi-jack, but, does that mean the SA410 world not be a good choice for an amp with a SS Power Section?

9. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    why would you fuiger neo when your going for a classic tone?

why dont you look for a big old 2x15?(besides protability) that IS classic tone

10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    4x10s aren't classic sounding at all. They didn't start showing up until the 80s. Again, if you want a classic sound, go with a 2x15 (Bergantino/Fender/Sunn) or 4x12 (Schroeder).

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Not in the least. I use an SA410 with an Eden WT550 and am very pleased with the cab.

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I use mine with a high-power rack rig, and I'm also pleased. Because of the tight surrounds, the SA410 won't get as loud as some modern 4x10 cabs... but it'll still get silly loud.

13. Another +1 on the SA410. That's the application that cab was specifically designed for. It sounds GREAT with a tube head IMO, and the price can't be beat on the remaining stock. Very 'sealed' cab vintage sort of vibe, but with the ability to dial in a little more modern tone with the very nice tweeter.

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have found that with SS amps, I like to boost the lows on the amp to accomodate for the reduced cone excursion (which equates to more control with a tube amp, but less fullness with a SS amp, IME). That's not to say that it doesn't work well, it just was designed with tube power in mind, and as a result, to work ideally with SS, it takes a bit of bass boost (not much). This is very much IME and IMHO, and YMMV.

That said, if the prices were all the same, and you were only going to be playing with SS power, I might steer you towards the Epifani UL2-410 (I am the odd bird, it seems, but I personally prefer the Series 2 UL-410 to the Series 1 by a notable margin - others dig the Series 1 pretty hard, though), or the Bergantino HS410, which I have only heard down at Bass Emporium, but which left my jaw hanging at an uncomfortable angle for days following. :D

I also like the EA NM-410, but it really does not sound like a 'typical' 4x10, and it only comes in an 8 ohm configuration. If you don't mind the weight, the older Mesa Boogie Diesel and Road Ready 4x10's are just incredible, especially for that 'classic' tone. Much more clear and articulate than SWR or Eden, but not as popular as either back in the day.

Tom.

15. CLMSHQ

CLMSHQ

Apr 17, 2007
    Danielson, CT
    Thanks for all your suggestions, but no one mentioned Aguilar or got into much detail about Epifani, or Peavy. Just looking for suggestions as I may not be able to purchase a Bergantino due to availability. I am even leaning towards a Carvin BRX 410...which sounds rich like an Eden for 1/2 the price, but then I am getting away from the Bad Co., Boston, Skynyrd sound. Again my Fender 300 gives the rich tone I need just the cabinet is not all there.

16. Man- I got a 300PRO too & its hard to go past a Bergantino NV610 for classic tone. I was almost gonna buy a Sadowsky SA410 but the Berg popped up @ right time. Either of these cabs will give a GREAT tone with this amp! Sorry -cant comment on the other cabs-never tried 'em.

17. I would think the Aguilar DB series would sound great also. However, again, the Berg NV610 mentioned above and also the SA410 were literally designed for those big tube heads. As much as I love the EpiUL's, they are a totally different thing, meant for a more modern tone IME.

There are very few pieces of this high end gear that I don't like for certain applications, but IMO and IME some designs and voicings work much better than others in certain contexts. IMO and IME, the UL's are just wonderful for modern, punchy pop/funk/jazz style playing, but the quite extended low end, and the very airy treble just don't match up with 'vintage' to me as well as the two Bergantino cabs mentioned by a few. The Aguilar DB series seems to have the same design goals as the Berg's that we are all suggesting, so that might be a pretty good option. I've very impressed with the new DB112... kind of similar in vibe to the SA410.. tight, warm, mid punchy... and the tweeter is not overwhelmingly sizzly or airy.

I haven't heard a Peavey 410 in many years, so can't comment on that. I have played that Carvin 410, and it sounds much smaller than its large size would suggest... not very impressive IMO (I like the Carvin heads though!).