Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best 412 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassplayerjojo, Mar 8, 2002.

1. I've decided I want a 412 for my GK 1001RB. What do you guys recommend? I have a very flexible budget.

2. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    The best cab I´ve ever tried is EBS 412 cab. Check that one out! I have also tried Marshalls VBA 412 but that cab is not so great. It has no highs at all.

3. gmann

gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    I just bought a Peavey 412 last week. It kicks and it was not expensive.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    swr's new 4x12 is not so expensive, should be loud as HELL too.

too bad no tweeter though :(

jason

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    That's why I can't wait to hear it :)

6. gmann

gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    I paid $489 for my Peavey 412. If SWR can beat that price and sound just as good let me know.

7. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Why would the SWR be cheaper than a Peavey?

8. gmann

gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    Good Question.

9. gmann

gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    Bassplayerjojo asked a good original question. SWR is good stuff but their product is just coming out and chances are they will be fairly expensive. The Peaey 412 has been around for a bit and he might be able to hear a decent cab at a good price, depending on his local dealer. I'm just thinking bang to buck ratio. What do you think the new SWR is going to go for? I mean not list but real world. We're talking SWR here, so maybe real world, what, $1000 maybe $1200? I can't justify that price, at least to my funds.

10. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    The list price of the SWR Twelve Stack is $999.

Expect the street price to be $600-$700.

11. Hey gmann, you called me a he. Understandable, and its cool, but my real name is Joanna, I'm a female. :cool:

12. If the new SWR sounds better than Peavy, then I would probably go with the higher price for the SWR. I don't want to upgrade again for awhile, and since I have a little playing money, why not splurge if the need be. If anyone gets to try it, and has a decent basis for comparison, let me know how it goes.

13. gmann

gmann

Mar 1, 2001
    Sorry, Joanna

14. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I'm going to get a Twelve Stack really soon, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Hey, another woman. Cool.

15. So you work out huh? :D
    As odd as it sounds, I didn't even factor in how much a 412 cab would weigh when I decided to get one. What is the typical wieght, does anyone know? So a 12 stack....You must be incredibly fit. I'm not out of shape, I just have a small frame, so it might be a little hard for me with a 412.

16. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    The SWR Twelve Stack weighs 107 lbs.. The Peavey 412 TVX weighs 127 lbs..

If you don't want to deal with the obvious size and girth of a 4x12, you might want to check out the SWR Twelve Pack. The Twelve Pack is a 2x12 that weighs 63 lbs.. It retails for $699 ($400-$500 street price).

The sound of the Twelve Stack in a smaller and cheaper package.

The SWR Goliath III 4x10 is another good cab.

17. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    An SWR that sounds "just as good as a Peavey?" Ain't that sorta backwards, bro? And an SWR that is cheaper than a Peavey? Man, I want some o' that yer tokin' on, my man!

18. i think i'm going to get a 12 stack to accompany my big ben... that should sound beautiful.

19. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    IMO, there is no 412 better than Peavey's 412TVX.

I would not have even considered 12's were it not for the awesome sound of these cabs. There heavy (like all Peavey products), but it's on castors.

I only move mine from the band trailer to the ground and then from the floor to the stage...otherwise it's rolled on it's wheels.

IMO, I haven't played through a rig I like better than my Peavey CS-800S, MAX pre-amp and the 412TVX...even though I can afford any amp/cab setup I desire.

Peavey's come a long way. They are top notch now.

20. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    IMO the EBS 412 smokes the Peavey. Ive tried both. The EBS sounds much better. I know not many have tryed it but before you buy another 412 check it out. It has wheels and a towelbar just like an Ampeg 810.