best 4x10 cab to pair w/ gk 1001rb-II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rolliefingers, Jun 1, 2005.

1. hey y'all - i have a gk 1001rb-II which i love and a hartke 410tp cab which has been ok, but i'm looking to replace to the cab with what will hopefully be a better, cleaner, louder and puchier one. i will use the 4x10 as a stand alone cab most of the time - mainly play classic rock covers. the gk 410 rbh is too big for my car so i'm looking at the gk 410 sbx, and all the other usual suspects; ampeg, eden, swr, peavey, mesa, etc. any thoughts? thanks, dan.
  2. Don't forget the neo series cabs. They are lighter and smaller.
  3. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    The 410SBX is only 400 watts @ 8 ohms. GK has a new version of the 210SBX in the works that will actually be the same rating. Its possible a 410 version based on the new drivers will be forthcoming, or you could simply use two of the SBX-II cabs (either 210 or one of the new 115SBX-IIs).

I'm quite anxious to hear that the new 210 is finished and ready to ship myself.
  4. haven't heard the neo series - so is the sbx-II going to be essentially the same but have speakers w/ a higher power handling capability? perhaps i need to consider other configurations besides the 4x10 route... nonetheless, anyone else want to chime in on a 4x10 cab for the 1001rb-II (besides the rbh)?
  5. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    From everything I've read the SBX-IIs are the same as the SBX but with a higer powered driver to better keep up with the RB-II series heads (which are more powerful than their ancestors). The 115SBX-II is already available, with the 210 due sometime this month. Those two cabs paired would handle 800 watts at 4 ohms and be easier to manage than a single 410, as well has having a deeper, fuller sound (the SBX series cabs are sealed, not ported) compared to the RBH line.

Also they can stack on top of each other without falling over, something the RBHs have trouble with :)

Aside from the Neo 212 the Avatar 212 Pro might be a good shot. Its available in 4ohm configuration and would easily accomadate the full output of your head. You won't have the front panel horn management of GKs biamp system, but that's a luxury many live without.

All the Schroeder cabs get wonderful reviews as well, I'm sure they have a configuration that would suit the head and your needs.
  6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I would suggest the GK Neo212, which many on here seem to like. I have the Neo112, and it's fantastic, so the 212 should be even better. (But with the 1001RB-II, you should really go with the Neo412! :bassist: )

But for a 4x10", an SWR Goliath III (new or used) would be a good choice, especially if you could find a 4 ohm version to get the 700 watts out of the GK. They sound great, are very efficient, and can handle 700 watts. I've used one for a couple of years with GK heads for indie and hard rock sets, and I've been very satisfied. It will be a big step up from your Hartke IMO.