1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best 4x10/head combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Waspinators, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    Hey everyone, I'm soon going to get a job to pay for a 4x10 cab and a head, but I need to know which you guys think is the best. I can pay up to $900, and I need something that has serious punchy low-end, while having a nice high-end. It needs to be loud (competing against a Marshall 2x10 combo and a Randall 4x12 rig in a thrash band). If anyone knows of something that will suit me for the price, let me know!

2. lewislngvw

lewislngvw

Aug 16, 2005
    longview,texas
    avatar 4x10 cab.....maybe a peavey tour 700 head.....:D

3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    The word "best" should not be used here. Go to your local music store and try out as many combinations as you can. The combination you like best will be BEST for you. There are far too many opinions floating around here on a topic like this.

Take advantage of a 30 day return policy and see if the rig works in the band situation.

Buy as many watts as you can, and get the best 410 you can grab.

As far as competing with loud guitarists, keep your midrange frequencies flat around 400hz-800hz and don't kill them in any way - you need them to hear yourself. Boost them if you like.

4. In your situation I'd go Peavey, Aguilar Or GK.

I would also consider adding a 15" or a 12" for those lows...or you could go 6x10" I am not a fan of 4x10" by themselves for thrash, classic metal or hard rock

5. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    Speaking of GK, are the GK Goldline cabs any good? They look like a pretty good fit for the Backline 600 head. I've been mostly looking at the Ampeg B1RE head and B410HE cab, or the GK Backline 600 head and Goldline GLX410 cab (possibly adding a 15" later on).

6. lewislngvw

lewislngvw

Aug 16, 2005
    longview,texas
    ok...just checked prices...a little more than 900......avatar 4x10 is 440 shipped......tour 700 on MF is 560 with free shipping....100 over budget but i think well worth it....:D