Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best 4x10 on the market?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Fourbin, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Fourbin

Fourbin

Feb 11, 2003
    Shopping for a new 4x10 to most likely use with one of my SWR or Eden 400 watt heads... I eventually want a 1x15 but with so many 4x10s on the market I thought I'd ask you guys.

Eden, Epifani, Aguilar, Ampeg, etc., etc., etc....
    What do you think is the best sounding, best priced cab out there? I'm looking for power, clarity, warmth and punch.

Thanks in advance!

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Epifani of Eden XSTs.

3. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Avatar. You can afford two of them.

4. Fourbin

Fourbin

Feb 11, 2003
    Are the Avatars REALLY that good? I trust that they are a great cab for the money but I mean.. is it really not worth it to spend a bit more for a used SWR/Ampeg/Eden cab? I'd love to know.. saving money would be key!

5. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    It is going to be a personal preference but I tried out the SWR 4X10 cabs and the Eden 410 XLT cabs and the Edens were it for me. I now been playing with two of them with the Eden WT 800 head for quite a few years now I have never regretted it.

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    There is an amp forum.

There is no best, it is all personal preference. Decide for yourself, not on others opinions.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, but that's just like... your opinion, man.

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Touche :D

Fine my opinion is that my SVT410HLF is well constructed, easily mobile, sounds great, and reasonably priced compared to others in it's class.

9. i second that

10. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    My vote goes for EBS or Epifani

11. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    Def. EBS if you can afford them, but a used eden xlt would make a great standalone cab, then when you add the 15 ... good times

12. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    This thread isnt about amps, its about cabs :D

13. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Damn I hate loopholes. :D

I dont know about any other 4x10's, but did anybody see that 16 18" driver subwoofer/homes sound setup in the Amp Forum.

14. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    *Poof!* You're an Amps thread!

15. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    what about the Aggie 4x10's?

16. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    For the price? Yes. Avatar makes good cabs, but not great cabs. I noticed I had a lot more depth and clarity when I upgraded from the Avatar 2x12 to an Acme Low B-2. Avatar cabs have decent woofers, but they're neither deep nor clear. The tweeters are noisy and harsh as well, unlike higher end brands. The Low B-2 is a far superior cab, however, it's not very loud. From my extensive research, experience, and years of laboratory experimentation, I've found that the Accugroove Tri 210L would make a suitable replacement for my Low B-2. You might want to try one as well. It's not a 4x10, but personally I can't move one of those around... too heavy and bulky. If you really want a 4x10 and not a 2x10, look into the Epifani NYC series. The UL series is great as well, but it's more expensive and less hi-fi than the NYC. If you want a more colored sound, check out some of the Eden 4x10 cabs.

17. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland

umm, look down.

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My favorite 4x10 is the Bergantino HT310. :p

19. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    Ampeg HLF
    if you like natural sounding bass tone anyway.

20. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    When a swr 410 cost about $850 and you can get a berg 322 for about $1000, Bergantino all the way!!