Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best 4x10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DaBassman, Apr 30, 2005.

1. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    What do you think is the best 4x10 cab for under $500? I have an SWR 2004 head and I'm playing country rock in small to medium venues.
    Thanks!!

2. i like my peavy 4x10tvx, very solid, i like the sound, and its fairly cheap

3. poundround

poundround

Mar 8, 2005
    Lynchburg VA
    Check out Hartke 4.5 XL. It has great tone and is about $500. I played Hartke for years and never had a problem with them. The sound range is great and the tweeter helps clean up the highs. Its no Eden or SWR but it gets the job done. :bassist:

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Ok, I'll make the obvious statement. Look at the Avatars. You might be able to buy a 112 at the same time for around 500.

TMARK likes this.
  5. Cabs I'd be happy with:

Used SWR Goliath
    Used Eden 410 xlt
    New Hartke 410 xl

Yes, they may be "yesterday's cool cab" to most people, but you will pay double for the latest and greatest cabs that get all the gossip.

Oh, you may want to consider more power - that 2004 will be a stretch at running an 8 ohm 410 to decent volume levels.

:)

6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If you don't mind the weight, an older Mesa Boogie Deisel 410.

Otherwise, probably one of the Avatar 4x10 (maybe a Neo), (I haven't heard one, but people are giving good reports on them).

TMARK likes this.
  7. another vote for the Peavey 410tvx. Been playing on one for a while with good sound and no problems.

8. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    Thanks!
    Someone told me to look at the new Crate cab, has anyone tried it yet?

Maybe a 4 ohm cab at 200watts from the SWR will do the trick (avatar?)

9. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Used ampeg BXT. Loud as hell and clean bright hi-fi that still will rock out your B.

10. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Used Ampeg 4x10 BXT, like the one I have. ;)

11. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    It's amazing how many people answer questions, other than the ones that are posted. :rolleyes:

12. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I'll tell you, I really do believe that a used AMPEG BXT 4X10 IS THE BEST CAB FOR UNDER $500.00. ;)

13. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    I have a behringer BB410. Does the job, very well.

Very cheap too.

14. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I agree, thus why I posted it, and mines even long been sold. They are widely overlooked and underrated cabs. I only ditched mine for a schroeder, but those aren't under 5 bills.

15. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I hate Ampeg cabs. They just sound bad to me. Maybe I need to try out some more models though.... Check out Avatar and definately look used.

16. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I do not like any other Ampeg cabs, these are not the typical boomy, muddy cheap cabs that Ampeg makes. It is obvious that you have not played them because I do not know of anyone that has tried these particular cabs and said that they hated them. They were designed by Victor Wooten( Bela Fleck and the Flecktones) and Steve Bailey ( Fretless six string solo bassist) specifically for them. They are comparable to the best SWR stuff and the best Eden stuff.

17. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    BXT? I'll try it out sometime. I take it they are good slap cabs if Victor is using em.

18. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Funny you mention Schroeder Troll, that is why I am selling mine too. ;)

19. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Why dont you just match the SWR head with a 410 goliath. You can get one used for under 500. If you dont like the sound of their cabs, Eden is a good choice. But if you want a budget cab for the money, go for an avatar. If you do go for avatar, get the NEO model...less weight to carry around.