1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best 4x10's that won't color my tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Johnboch, May 9, 2010.

1. Johnboch

Johnboch

May 7, 2010
    I've been looking into the ampeg bxt and the eden xlt because I heard they're good for jazz, funk, fusion, etc., but I've been advised to look at amps that won't color my tone like those two do. What are some good cabs that won't color my tone at all? Or, if you also play this kind of music with the bxt or the xlt, why should I keep looking at these amps?

2. Brattbugg

Brattbugg Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Motor City
    Ok let me get this straight, you want a speaker that wont color your tone. At some point in your chain, you need to color your tone. Thats why there are thousands of choice in gear, fine the colored tone you like and dont look back. personally I dont like SWR cabs, they are to shrill for me, I use LDS cabs loaded with Eminence BP102's.

3. I don't know, Epifani or the other primarily funk and R&B cabs might be more neutral. I've heard that it's not hard to EQ the mids back into SWR amps, not sure about the cabs.

4. Jimmy Stump

Jimmy Stump

Jan 27, 2010
    Canada
    With your bass, no?

I sought the amp/head combo that added as little as possible to what my bass inherently has, as you would hear it direct. I use no effects of any sort.

5. Brattbugg

Brattbugg Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Motor City
    If thats the case, Im not being a smart a**, why not just run direct into the board? Any player that is going throgh the PA is not getting the sound they have onstage. Even if you run your DI post, the PA will change what you think is a killer tone. That is the frustrating part of the whole deal.

6. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    No matter what cab you use ,, its going to color your tone in one way or another.. The key is to pick the color that works for you...

7. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    while my Accugroove El Whappo Jr. is said (by Accugroove) to be flat, 'uncolored' and sounds like a big studio monitor, after running some RTA tests on it, IMO, it definitely has a few dips in its freq response. that said, it does somewhat feel and sound 'flat' to me, and yields a pretty close representation of what any of my different basses tonal characteristics actually are, without imposing too much 'color' of its own.

8. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Blue works for me

9. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Seriously, try the Mark Bass 4x10.

10. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    +1 IME, because the head and cabinet work together to create sound, the attributes of both must be carefully considered - in the mix at gig volume - when tailoring "your sound."

Some fantastic cabs don't achieve their best sound until paired with certain heads. Likewise, some heads don't sound their best until paired with certain cabs.

As usual, YMMV...

11. Acme B4 or a pair of B2s.

Paul

12. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Ampeg is just about the opposite of uncolored to my ear. While I haven't heard their 410, EA's nl-210 was an absolutely phenomenal cab. It was fairly flat responsed. No, I didn't run any scientific tests to determine just how flat it is. My gauge for that sort of thing is whether or not my double bass actually sounds like a double bass through the damned thing. It did. I noticed a VERY slight thickening in the low mids when compared to my studio monitors, but we are talking nit picky territory here. If Euphonic Audio's nm-410 is anywhere near the same tone as their nl-210, then my $ is on that to be the flattest 410 out there.

PS: If you don't mind toting a BIG power amp to drive it (they are not sensitive by any stretch of the imagination), and you don't mind maxing out at moderate volume levels, Acme's are another good choice.

13. Johnboch

Johnboch

May 7, 2010
    Exactly. I want my bass's tone, not my speakers' or preamps.

14. Jimmy Stump

Jimmy Stump

Jan 27, 2010
    Canada
    I had the same goals when I was shopping. After some research here and other places, I was steered towards a Markbass head (I wound up getting the F1) and an Epifani 4x10 cab. So far so good. I'm happy with my sound, and there is not a whole lot of colour to it.

Good luck in your search.

15. pokengkong

pokengkong

Apr 6, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Kingston Basses
    Yeah, the Acme-B4 is what I use when I want uncolored sound. I got several rigs including Bag End and Ashdown, but when I use my Acme, I get a tone closest to a direct tone. I don't have a B-2, but that would probably work great too.

16. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    +1. Uncolored means a 3 way with relatively low sensitivity, AFAIK Acme is the only company that makes them.

17. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    a pa cab may in fact be what you're after as well.

for giggles i would play a bunch of amps and cabs and find the one that sounds the best to you. I would also forget about limiting yourself to 410 cabs. try everything. if it has "the sound" and it (or a pair) are loud enough, problem solved.

18. BadJazz

BadJazz Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    I'm with the thread starter, and I use Bag End cabs exclusively. In addition to rock-solid, nay indestructible (close enough anyway) build quality, I find Baggies put out what you put in, at any volume.

I let a friend use my 2x12 with his band and it killed his SWR 2x10 1x15 get up. Volume to spare, and none of the dips and thrusts of the Goliaths.
    I had the Deep Red 4x10 as well, but sold it due to downsizing. Both outstanding cabs.

19. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Here's a third vote for Acme....probably the flattest, uncolored tone I've encountered. The character of the player, bass, and preamp really shine through.

Riis

20. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    That's what I was going to say. A PA cab is probably going to be the most uncolored you're going to get.

Or play your bass really close to a microphone ;)