1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best 5 Pedals Under $120

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by smogg, Dec 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    For the budget conscious (like me) and playing off of the the current Best 5 and Worst 5 pedal threads (which are extremely informative by the way), What are your favorite 5 pedals under $120? (excluding tuners & wireless units)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    Jazzcaster89 likes this.
  2. stambroker

stambroker

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    EHX Bad Stone and (especially) the Bass Clone. I absolutely hated EHX's nano series due to hum and poor quality sound, but the Bass Clone is probably my favorite chorus ever AND it's cheaper than just about every other one I've owned. I used a Tech21 Bass Boost Chorus for years, and while the sound was excellent, the Bass Clone is just satisfying to click on and hear in the mix.

The Bad Stone is a special little phaser that isn't as complicated or versatile as other phasers, but it has a unique character that I really dig. You'd be hard pressed to top them in that price range.

3. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    1. Cool Buzz Bass Fuzz $119 Cool Buzz Bass Fuzz

2. Mad Dr. Who Stutter $119 Mad Doctor Who Stutter

3. Dr. J Sparrow Bass DI $75 - Hard to get something more useful versatile and excellent at this price. Dr. J D53 Sparrow Driver and DI Review | Premier Guitar , Amazon.com: Dr J Sparrow Driver and Digital Intermediate Path Pedal: Musical Instruments

4. Rowin Twin Looper $50 - Loopers are so much fun and such a great practice and writing tool. New TWIN LOOPER Guitar Effect Pedal Mono Stereo Input/ Output Sound Recording | eBay

And here's a looper option. NUX Loop Core $94 - NUX LOOP CORE Guitar Electric Effect Pedal 6H Recording Time 9V Battery N0W9 | eBay

5. NUX Time Force $54 - NUX Time Force Guitar Effect Pedal Multi Digital Delay 11 Delay Effects | eBay

Or give up a few options and try NUX Time Core $36 - NUX Time Core Guitar Effect Pedal 7 Delay Models True Bypass HIGH QUALITY I7I0 | eBay

Honorable mention and bonus weird points goes to the Death Ray Frequency Mangler $119 (but to really rule with this you need an expression pedal too which would put it over $120) - Death Ray Frequency Mangler

zapped777, AndyLES and smogg like this.
  4. I kit build or scratch build quite a few of mine, so I'm not sure they count.
    But for commercial pedals, the top of my list is certainly the Joyo American Sound. It's cheap as chips and really sounds nice. Next up is probably A Zoom MS 50b. It's a lot of pedal for so little money. I think the TC Electronics mojo mojo Overdrive is worthy of a mention too. A S/H OC-2 is a great investment and the "goto" octaver. The Zoom MS-70CDR if it can squeeze into that price point is an amazing unit. I think the Hotone bass volume / wah / expression pedal is incredibly good value too. The Caline 10 band graphic EQ is worth a mention too.

5. JCooper

JCooper ...meep. Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Vermont
    Totally agree about the American Sound, it's well worth the $.

ukedealer, smogg and SunnBass like this.
  6. I just picked up a Joyo Orange Juice for £50, a steal

smogg, JCooper and SunnBass like this.
  7. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    The Zoom MS series pedals are probably the best budget multis on the market. The 50G, 60B, and 70CDR meet the $120 budget limit here. The 100BT is $150, though I used a 20% off coupon at Musician's Friend last year to get it for $120.

The Digitech Bass Synth Wah and Behringer BSY600 Bass Synthesizer are both very good for what they are...and both discontinued to the best of my knowledge (the Behringer definitely is, the Digitech I'm less sure of).

Similarly, I'm pretty sure the Digitech Hardwire series is discontinued but most people think pretty highly of them. I owned the TL-2 (basically a better Metal Zone) and really liked it. I briefly owned the CL-2 (which does more of a tube overdrive sound) and thought it was very good, just not a sound I was looking for. I believe those met the budget you're talking about. The Supernatural Reverb and DL-8 delay from that series I think are also pretty highly thought of, but more than $120.

Really, like I said about my MS-100BT, there is a lot of great stuff at about $150 that can be had for cheaper if you find the right coupons from the big box stores or wait for the sales from places like Prymaxe.

8. I have had great luck with some of the TC Electronic pedals; HOF mini, Vortex Flanger, Spectra Comp, And The Corona Chorus.

But the best I have found lately for a few bucks more is the Source Audio Aftershock. It's kinda scary I am using so many digital pedals.

smogg likes this.
  9. King Weapon

King Weapon

Sep 20, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    EHX Freeze. Hands down. One of the most innovative pedals, inspiring pedals.

neuman, ColdEye, jp58 and 3 others like this.
  10. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    The Broughton HPF + LPF. I think it's over the budget, but worth it for tone control.

Also, the TCE Hypergravity. It's a comp, but it has so many internal Toneprint controls it can be used to control eQ and tone as well. A very powerful pedal.

smogg likes this.
  11. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Cool thread.

TC Spark, WH Pork Loin, Blower Box, OC-2, SansAmp BDDI

All can be had used or new under $120

infrared72 and smogg like this.
  12. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    1st pedal or looking to learn, B1on/B1xon for $50/$70 will leave you some coin towards the next, or even enough to get a new one. They get love here, and have good uses even if you "outgrow" it, but I consider it an at home learning tool. I got the B1xon for this purpose and well worth $70. That's my only pedal under $120. Until yesterday it was my only pedal period :D If you go this route, find the mega thread for tips. It's a zillion pedals in one and pretty overwhelming at first. I keep these on my living room computer:

https://www.zoom.co.jp/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/E_B1on_B1Xon_2.pdf on page 33 where it lists the preset pedals

https://www.zoom.co.jp/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/E_B1on_B1Xon_FX-list_100_0.pdf which lists what each available pedal emulates. I can't believe they don't receive some litigation for this one!

Go to sweetwater bass pedals, sort by price, listen to the demos on the sweetwater page and search youtube. Go to geetar peds and do the same, but search the pedal name with "on bass" after it.

In fact, best to youtube anything before you buy without hearing it in person first. Need good speakers or headphones.

Also check the dealzone. They are closing out this years demos and you get full manufacturers warranty + 2 year sweetwater warranty + free ship. So you pay what you see, unless the Indiana tax man reaches out for his cut if you are in IN.

DealZone | Bass Guitars | Bass Guitar Pedals & Effects | Sweetwater.com bass

DealZone | Guitars | Guitar Pedals & Effects | Sweetwater.com geet

Search classifieds here. You can probably score a B1xon new plus a used other pedal, or even new. For new Electro harmonex (AKA EHX) and MXR make some nice lower priced pedals from what I've read here and from listening to youtubes.

Radar on this one: Electro-Harmonix Hot Tubes Nano Overdrive hot tubes on bass - YouTube

Sorry I don't have top 5 for you being new to pedals, but I hope this helps. Happy hunting and Merry Christmas!

Bassist4Eris and smogg like this.
  13. wncBass

wncBass

Jan 2, 2015
    North Carolina
    Just got a exh bass clone. Great pedal and cheap too!

smogg likes this.
  14. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    I didn't mention the pork loin, because new is over $120. That's my new/first real pedal that came in yesterday. I dig it! Gut feeling and from listening to youtubes, most Way Huge you can score used, under $120 would be very good. I'm diggin' it! Way Huge, buy it for looks, buy it for life!

smogg and vivaknoxvegas like this.
  15. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Oh I didn't see the "new" requirement. I def wouldn't limit yourself to only buying new. You can save so much cash buying used fx.

16. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Oh, no sir, there was none. I just left it off, not knowing about the used price on these. He did not say new or used. My WHPL was ~$150 demo from sweetwater. Not a huge discount, but crossed a mental barrier for me, making it a guilt free semi-impulse buy. I need to adjust that for inflation!

17. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Lots of great info guys, keep it coming. I have no problem buying used from the TB classifieds, so I guess no need to limit to just new. (I will edit OP).

My goal here is to build a small(ish) useful pedal board for live use on the cheap. Working covers band doing classic and modern rock. I get no complaints about my tone but I know I could benefit from punching in some mild OD/grit and/or modulation on certain songs. My amp is pretty clean so IMO it should take FX well.

Thanks for the advise so far all.

18. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    That IS the Pork Loin!

vivaknoxvegas and smogg like this.
  19. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    LOL, good luck with that.

jp58, Hand slap, smogg and 1 other person like this.