Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best 5-string Bass for $500-750

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BELLATOR, Oct 21, 2005.

1. BELLATOR

BELLATOR

Sep 7, 2005
    I am looking for a 5-string bass in the near future. I have looked at several basses but I can't find exactly what I am looking for. The exception is the ESP F255. This bass really caught my eye. My question is, what is the best bass you can find new for $500-750? I would like a 5-string with most of the same feature as the ESP (EMG or comparable pups, neck-thru construction, etc.) How does the ESP F255 compare with say, Ibanez or Schecter in the same price range? How does the ESP compare with any brands that you have experience with in this price range? I play mostly with a pick but I am getting into finger style now as well. I play mostly metal but I also like classical music transcribed for the bass. Anyway, any of your input on this subject is welcome. Thanks.

2. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    First off, I'd recommend that you at least consider buying used. You can get a MUCH better bass if you buy used, particularly in the price range that you specified. Very reliable people here on TB sell great basses all the time at prices around your budget.

Specifically, I'd say a Lakland 55-01 would be one of the top basses in that range. IIRC, Musician's Friend sells them for about $700. They have a great low B, and are pretty flexible too.

3. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Conklin GT5, imo.

4. BassNoob?

BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    First, do an eBay run. If that fails, then go pick up an Ibanez SR505 :cool:

uh-oh i can feel the flames comming...

5. dbaser

dbaser

Jan 22, 2005
    Mobile, AL

+1

http://www.basscentral.com/basscombo/lakelandSkyline/lak_5501_blk_tn.jpg

On a side note, I was about to buy one when I saw the love of my life hanging on the wall... Cort Artisan A5 Neck-thru.

I walked out the door with this baby for $750 tax/incl.

Attached Files:

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Ah, I saw one of those a few months ago at GC, and it was a pleasure to play. I was very impressed with it, and it took some guts to walk away from it. If you're so inclined, wanna give a brief review of it? :D

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

You can get some nice Lakland's and G&L's in that price range maybe even a roscoe beck 5 string.

8. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I picked up my used 55-02 for $750 and it is in great shape-- awesome bass. Also just picked up a used Warmoth Gecko 5, also in excellent shape for $550 and the thing plays great (currrently doing a bunch of electronics mods to it) and was well put together with top-notch parts. Bass Central was selling new Lakland 55-01's for a pretty good deal (below your max) not too long ago too.

Honestly, I don't think I'd ever spend money on something brand new again unless I had a ton of money to burn and went with something completely custom built... everything devalues so quickly.

If you you dig around enough and are patient andx have a good eye, there are plently of great deals to be had.
    ---
    c

9. Definitely look used, you can get some great basses in that price range. Personally, I would look for a Lakland 55-02, without the deluxe top on it. Bass central has one on their site for 750 IIRC. I just got one about a month ago, and it is just wonderful. Many sounds to be had in one of these with the Bart 3 band pre and "MM"/J pickup config. I put MM in quotes because its not a "real" MM pickup, but it still sounds good nonetheless. See if you can play one first though, you may not like the feel, though many do.

Dont know if youll be recording it, but just so you know, it sounds just awesome recorded.

Good luck,
    Dave

10. I like that, two reccomendations for 55-02's within two minutes of each other. Nice.

Dave

11. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Make that three. I love my 55-02

12. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    +1 on that. It sits in a mix beautifully... previously I've always had to muck around with a bit of EQ after laying down bass tracks to carve out their space. Only recorded with my 55-02 a bit since I've had it, but I haven't even had to touch the EQ on the bass track since I've used it.

I like my 55-02 so much, I'm actually in the market for a used 55-94 now :)
    ---
    Chris

13. Good stuff, Ive only got one song done with mine, but it absolutely obliterates the songs I did with the Spector. Now Im going to have to redo those songs. I have to do nothing with the EQ on mine, its awesome.

14. Yamaha TRB 1005.

A new one is $800, but if you go to GC you can get them to drop the price down below $700. IM getting one for $550 :hyper: :D

15. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd say any Lakland...especially if you look used. $500-$750 can pretty much cover the range of any of these basses ysed. 55-01, 55-02, DJ5 (good luck finding that used), or a JO5. I've owned or played all of them and they are awesome basses. Designed well, sound awesome, comfortable, versatile, and best of all Dan Lakin and all of the Lakland crew really support their product.

16. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
  17. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Ibanez BTBs are nice, as well as the Laklands that everyone is suggesting.

18. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Fender RBV.....my one trick pony.

19. lots of good recomendations here, I'll agree with the Lakland 55-01 or used 55-02. and just to give you some other stuff to look at I'll suggest a used US made G&L L2500 or a new Tribute L2500. the Spector Professional series Legend 5 is also a great bass.

I'd generally recomend trying out everything you can and buy what ends up feeling the best to you. take what we say here as recomendations on stuff to look at, I wouldn't buy something on complete faith unless it was a sadowsky :D