Best 5-string bass for $600

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dviper, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Dviper

Aug 24, 2004
    New York, USA
    Whats the best 5-string bass for $600

So far i found the G&L Tribute L-2500, Lakland Skyline 5 (Korea), and the Schecter Stiletto Elite 5

are there anymore i should be considering. i dont really like the feel of warwicks so please dont suggest that.
  2. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Tie between L2500 and Skyline. If your looking for playability, 55-01, if you're looking for versatility, go with the L-2500.

Anyone notice a grammatical oddity in the above statement?
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The tribute is the best at $600 for a new bass. You can find a Lakland for under $600, but it will be used. The Tribute is more versatile that the 55-01 anyway. It also works well in passive mode.
  4. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Add a Spector Performer or Legend to your list of basses to try. Spectors balance well, sound good, and are well made. 35" scale on the fivers too.

Best of luck in finding your ideal bass. Our suggestions can only go so far. Ultimately it's your hands and ears that make the final decision.

EDIT: Oh, and let us know which ones you try, why you like/dislike them, and which bass you eventually decide on.
  5. Dviper

Aug 24, 2004
    New York, USA
    Alright, I'll check out the spectors. I have played the Tribute and i like it a lot, the schecter was decent but nothing great, and the 55-01 i have yet to play. i just heard a lot of good things about the 55-01. Im looking to play mostly rock/metal stuff. Occasionally some RHCP or Green Day
  6. I picked up a Yami BB-405 new for $500 cdn that, IMO, is far better than the Jazz equiv at a fraction the cost.
  7. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I had a Skyline 55-02 and loved it, but the neck was a bit much for me. The Tribute was a lot easier to play. If I had to pick between the two I'd get the Tribute for that reason but they both sound great for what they cost.
  8. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I picked up my Spector euro 5 for 600.. Discontinued now I think though ><
  9. You mean apart from leaving out the verb in the first sentence and the use of a possessive pronoun instead of a subject and a verb in the second? :p
  10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Either used Lakland Skyline 55-02 or IMO, a 55-01 with a view to upgrading the electronics (Ag OBP-3) and possibly PUPs (Bart *CX's).

For about $100 more, get a 2nd hand Fender Roscoe Beck 5 (one of the best passive 5er's ever made).
  11. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    The second one! Fragments are sentences, too. :D
  12. I did think of that when I wrote it but I figured it's no error, but it can be classified as an oddity. :bag: (talk about off topic)
  13. Dviper

Aug 24, 2004
    New York, USA
    Has anyone tried the Peavey Cirrus 5 BXP? Its 599.99 on music123. Does it even compare with the Tribute?
  14. Width or depth? :confused:
  15. KeithPas

May 16, 2000

The short answer to that question would be no, the G&L Tribute is a far better bass for the money. The Schecter California Custom is also a great bass for a little over $600.00. It has USA active EMG's that do not need to be soldered and an active EMG preamp, they look slick as well.
  16. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I know where you can get a KSD 5 string J bass for little less money. Mint condition ash body and maple neck and board.
  17. The Godin Freeway 5 is a good value and plays great. I swapped out the electronics for Barts because I thought the pickups were a little weak. Incredible craftmanship.
  18. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    "your" should be "you're".
  19. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    "You've been WOODCHUCKED!"
  20. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Can you get an MTD Heir (or Kingston) for that? They rock (IMO).