Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best 5-string Bass for around $1,000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bill7122, Dec 12, 2003.

1. bill7122

bill7122

Feb 23, 2003
    Albany NY area
    What would you get as a good all-around 5-string for around $1,000, maybe a little more? I'm thinkin' a new Lakland 55-02, or a nice custom Carvin. I play in a original/cover Blues Band, and have major jamband influences. Play fingerstyle, like tight strings, lowest action possible w/o buzzin', and tonal variety.

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    you'll get more responses in the Basses forum.

Watch the closing door....

3. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    Used SR5. They sell all day on ebay for 800-900.

4. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    my answer now is a bossa bass if you can find one..just amazing. if you haven't played one you are missing out.

steve

5. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    Another option would be Cort/Elrick Josh Paul...if you're buying a used bass, Peavey Cirrus should also be availible for that amount of money.

6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm not sure whether you want to buy new or used?
    I'll assume used

Lakland 55-02 - active, great tonal versatility
    Fender Roscoe Beck V - passive, but great tonal variety. Great neck, great B string

Both can be had for around $700-$800 used depending on condition.

7. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Stingray 5 is a good choice.

For that money, you could get two used Reverend Rumblefishes, too.

8. I own both a Lakland 55-02 and a Spector CRFM-5. Both great, but different sounding, basses. You can easily get a used Spector for $1000 or less, and a new 55-02 for not much more than a grand.

If I didn't have a bass at the moment and was in your place, I would get the Lakland.

9. With $1000 you have many options, new and used. I would go used cause that gives you a large number of great basses to look at!

What kind of sound are you looking for? Mellow? Punchy? Growl?

My top three choices for $1000 and under would be:

-Used SR5
    -Used RB5
    -Used MIA Jazz

10. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I just got a Czech made Spector Rebop5. Smokin' bass. 35" scale (great B string) and they ship from the US factory with super low action. The controls are simple -- volume/volume, bass boost/treble boost, but you can coax lots of sounds from it. Light too; makes my G&L feel like a bag of bricks hanging from my shoulders. You can find one new for right around a grand.

Tom

11. I feel I've got to chime in with my advice to try out an Ibanez EDA900/905. Brand new they run $600/$660 with another $120 or so for the hardshell case. They're a little different, and surely not for everybody, but most everyone I know has commented on the great feel and unqiue tone. I personally am in love with my 905.

12. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Ahhh, how many time this question gets asked.....

So, you want wide spacing or not? Preferences on electronics? Do you care of the neck pickup is real close to the neck for slapping purposes?

There are a couple of questions like that you need to answer for your self. That said.

Wider spacing -

Used Lakland 55-02
    Cort/Elrick Josh Pauls (Great freakin bass!)

Not so wide

(both usesd)
    Stingray 5
    Cirrus 5

And, of course you could probably wait out a good deal for a nice boutique bass in somewhat compromised cosmetic condition. How important is that to you?

13. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Lakland 55-02

14. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I just picked up a new Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn 5 string and feel it's a fantastic bass for under $1,000.

Happy hunting,
    Bones