Best 5 string bass for between or around 300-500 ish???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DreamTheater, Jan 4, 2003.

1. DreamTheater

Jan 4, 2003
    well thats my price range so what basses should i check out? i play almost every type of music except punk and this will be my second bass. some opinons would be nice. thanks in advance!
  2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    its been said before- but here goes-- MTD Kingston or Heir- the Heir is a little more than $500- or a lakland 55-01-
  3. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Well, unless you get a great deal on a used one, the Heir and the 55-01 would be out of your price range, but they are great Basses. THe kingston would be great unless you had to have active electronics. Yamaha has an active BB series bass that would fit your desription very well. I have a BBg5s, that you can still sometimes find for $300, the sound is good, the workmanship is great.

also look at the RBX line of Yamahas.
  4. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Cort Curbows are easily found in the $300-400 range. Also, used Carvin LB75s can be found under $500.
  5. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    OK, you can all laugh at me if you want.

I haven't played the MTDs or Corts (my GC doesn't have 'em), but I did own a Carvin LB75f -- you can't get a new Carvin in this price range, but the kit or used might be a good idea. Most basses I tried at GC were set up poorly, so it's hard to say anything w/ certainty. Overall, the Yamahas felt better than the Fenders.

BUT, the SX BG-205 is the best bass I've played in the $0-$400 price range. The fretless ones have 5 piece necks. I had to shield the cavity. The action is a bit high. Multiple minor finish flaws. All of that said, this bass has a great neck and a great J bass growl that cuts through the mix. I played mine for 2 out of 3 sets last night, and smiled the whole time.

6. DreamTheater

Jan 4, 2003
    ive searched for the bbg5s and i cannot find them anywhere in any shops near me. same with curt corbow, esp, and i hate the rbx body for slapping. thanks for the help and recomendations though guys i really appreciate it
  7. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    the BBG5S was discontinued earlier in the year. You can still pick them on ebay occationly, but for the most part they are gone. Yanaha has a new breed like that. It's called the 604 or 605 or something like that.
    Similar bass, but I think now it has a id range control.

8. DreamTheater

Jan 4, 2003
    well that would sure explain me not being able to find one
  9. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    A used Kingston... about $300. Give or take a few bucks. Check eBay.
  10. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    try these links. MF has the BB605 for $399, but the picture is wrong. the yamaha link has the correct picture.

MF link

Yamaha page
  11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Dean Edge is a good bas sin that range also. I have an Edge 5 fretless that cost me about $450 at a B&M and I absolutely love it.
  12. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    BY the way, I just found a BBG5s on ebay with a reasonable Buy it now price. It's the black one, just like mine. here is the link

good luck

13. There's a used/mint Reverend Rumblefish 5-string on right now for $500. Jump on it!
  14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Easy choice for me: MTD Kingston.
  15. aceofbass88

Jul 23, 2002
    The Schecter Stilleto Series Elite 5 is a great bass, i have one custom made. It has a beautiful qulted maple top 35" scale length and the best feature, neck thru! i got mine for 600 bucks. Schecter also makes the deluxe 5 and the custom 5 which are a little cheaper without the quilted maple top and insnt neck thru. Its still a great bass though.