1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best 5 String Bass with the Best LOW 'A'. Need your advice!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by madorchidkyle, Sep 6, 2008.

1. madorchidkyle

madorchidkyle

Sep 6, 2008
    New Hartford, CT 06057
    bassamatic '76
    Hi all! I am in the market for a new bass. I figured with all the bass knowledge around here, I could get a pretty good idea of what I should be looking at. So here goes:

First, I need something within my budget. I don't care if it is new or used, I would assume I am better off buying used in this situation. My budget is at a MAX of $1200ish. I really would not like to go any higher than that.

My main concern with the bass, is a tight and massive low string. I am in a heavy/melodic/rock type of band, and I tune down a full step.. A,D,G,C,F. I want that low A to be as responsive as the D and the G strings. Just massive, chunky, enormous low end. I'm sure you get my point. ;)

I currently have a Ampeg svt-4 pro head, with matching 410hlf and 115 cab, so that department is settled.

My first instinct is to go Warwick.. but I'm interested to see other options. I used to have a thumb bolt-on, which I really wasn't tooo impressed with. Hated the heaviness of the neck, and the narrow string spacing. I wish I never got rid of my old basses. I also used to have a Pedulla ET5 thunderbass, which I miss greatly, but the neck was in terrible shape and the truss rod was stripped.

So I am really just interested to hear opinions. I do not have a vast knowledge of what is out there and what is best.. and i know some of you do. So thanks in advance! Any help is much appreciated. :hyper:

2. ESPplayer

ESPplayer

Nov 17, 2006
    Spectors and Peaveys have nasty(as in good) Low B's.Check one of them out

3. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    Dingwall AB I 5str (if you can find it used for this money). By far the best option

The only side effect is that once you hear the obvious difference you get hooked for life

4. madorchidkyle

madorchidkyle

Sep 6, 2008
    New Hartford, CT 06057
    bassamatic '76
    yeah, i have looked into dingwalls. hard to find people that wanna give them up. none on ebay or craigslist so far.

the only ones i really found were on basscentral.. and the lowest price on any of those was 2400ish.

money is really tight right now.. i wish i had the cash because i would scoop one of those up in a second.

5. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Music Man.Probably the best 34" B string out there.

6. To be quite honest I haven't played any 34 or 35" scale basses that had a dropped A that I'd boast about. The low B string simply is a lower tension string as is. The only clips I've heard that sounded good were from Dingwalls.

I own several USA 35" scale Peaveys and I gave up on dropped A tuning long ago. The B sounds great, but loses clarity in A.

I suppose you could go for something with an f# string and play up to get the open A.

I've been looking for a bass with a good low A, but I think I'm gonna either go for a fanned Cliff Borwell or Dingwall to get this accomplished.

7. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    Not very long ago there was an AB I 5str fo 1200 or 1400 USD. IMHO and IME of over 60 high end basses through my hands, the only basses that could handle Ab (with authority) are the Dingwalls

8. madorchidkyle

madorchidkyle

Sep 6, 2008
    New Hartford, CT 06057
    bassamatic '76
    I figured this would be the outcome. And those are great prices for the AB I's... I guess my best bet would be to wait it out and hopefully find a good used dingy in my price range.

Fullrange: i KNOW you got an extra 5 string AB'er lying around that you are just DYING to sell to me. :hyper: pleaseeeee!

9. Look on the bright side, at least you have the ear to know the difference! I can't tell ya how many bands I've seen tuned to z-flat that sound like noodle strings.

10. lamonica78

lamonica78

Feb 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Music Man is good, but my vote for the best 34'' B out there is Basex.oc5 by Human Base USA (www.humanbaseusa.com). I bought mine two months ago and I'm still amazed at how tight and defined the b string is.

11. What Fullie said!

A Dingwall Afterburner I on the used market might fall within your price range if you're fortunate.

12. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Isn't this KORN tuning?

13. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    +1

My BaseX.oc5 had an incredibly uniform "A", and it was sporting light-gauge D'Addario (sp?) strings. Should you want more rumble, that 40 Hz bass boost on the bass preamp will supply anything that you need. This bass would be a winner for you.

Quick note - I say "had" above because I had to sell it recently, but I really didn't want to.

14. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    You mean corny?

15. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    I have never tried a Dingwall, but the Modulus basses have VERY powerful low B (or in your case A) strings. I have also seen great Bs on Zon and Roscoe.

I would argue that all three are superior in performance to the Stingray.

16. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    A 135 B string on a Lakland bass should do it.

17. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I think the 135 string gauge would almost be essential, reguardless of what bass you end up with.

18. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    I think that if it's a 34" even a 135 wouldn't do it.

19. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    My first choice for this would be Dingwall. Don't be scared of the fanned frets, with a 37" scale on the lowest string, that low A would be devastating, but still very clear. If you can, save some more money for one because it really is the best tool for the job.

If that is not an option, you should stick only to 35" scale models. I like Spectors, but a Lakland would work fine too. Get a nice thick string, .135 or .140, preferably with a hexagonal core as these seem to have more tension than strings with a round core. I like DR Lo-Riders for this. That should get you where you want to go.

20. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I suppose it's all relative, but I used to have one of the earliest Tobias Killer B 5 strings and I was very happy with the low A. Currently using a Ristola 5 string, even happier with the low A. Both bolt on 34" basses with Bartolini pickups.