Best 5 String for $1500-$2000 ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LDV, Sep 28, 2003.

1. LDV

Aug 2, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    I know this is very subjective but it helps anyways. Here are a few criteria that might help with your comments -

1. I use an Mesa MPULSE 600 and two Aguilar GS112's
    2. I play fusion, jazz, funk..lot's of improv...
    3. I currently play a Carvin 4 string (tired of it).

Thanks for your comments/
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    "I play fusion, jazz, funk..lot's of improv..."

It sounds like you'd be very happy with an F bass BN5. New ones go for around 3 grand, but you can get a used one for about half that.
  4. Toneman

Jun 6, 2001
    Long Island
    best fiver under $2000 thats easy !!
    Lakland Skyline 55-02
  5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Benavente Vortex, Vintage Vortex and the 51 like mine can be had in that range
  6. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Where should I start....

Some of these choices may be pushing the upper range of your price limit, but it really depends on how "tricked out" you want to go. There are a lot of great basses in this price range, but I highly recommend that you start with these and the others already mentioned.
  7. Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Artists Relations, KMI
    i have a warwick dolphin pro1 5'er that's real nice. responsive, unique, warm, comfortable, flexible. i got mine for $1650. you can probably do better if you're willing to go all the way to 2 grand. i wasn't and im still happy :D

good luck-
  8. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    word on the board is that dingwall afterburners are sweet
  9. I'm very happy with my Pedullas and they both fell into that price range.
  10. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I believe I saw some special deals on Roscoe LG 3005 basses at Bass Central, something like $1700.00 if I remember correctly... Sounds like one of the best deals around.
  11. I like the sound of a Modulus Flea bass...
  12. MyNameIsMUD

Sep 25, 2003
    for that kind of money it better be hand built.
    (and i dont meen PRS handbuilt, I meen REAL handbuilt.) :)
  13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    It's impossible to answer that question. There are just too many choices. All of the above are worth considering. You could also consider Pete Hanewinckel You can get one of his less tricked-out models in your price range. He's in Orange County, so maybe you could even drive up and talk to him.

A lot of folks like Matt Pulcinella:

Then there's the "other" Matt, at FBB:

Finally, if you feel adventurous enough to look across the pond, I just got a couple of basses from this guy:

All of these, AFAIK and FWIW, are one-person operations, meaning if you call up Pete or Matt or Matt or Jon to spec out your bass, that's the person who's going to cut the body, shape the neck, etc--IOW, make the bass. For me, there's just something undeniably cool about dealing with just one person.
  14. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    An Elrick bass can be easily had for $2,000
  15. japhy4529

japhy4529 this is only a test... Supporting Member

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Before you spend any money, make sure you try out a Peavey Cirrus and a Pedulla Rapture. Two of the best 5 stringers under $2000, IMHO.
  17. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL

so very much bass for the $. In that price range, if you're considering a new bass- why not spec it out to your personal preferences?

I went from a Carvin to an FBB, and all my other basses are gradually disappearing. It's going to be an all FBB arsenal soon...

Highly recommended!
  18. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    People ask this from time to time, only the price range differes. My answer is always the same.

You need to figure out what is important in a bass to you. Spacing? Is it 18mm or 19mm you like more? how about on a 5? Or a 6? Which is is you want? Do you like a lot of room from the neck pickup to the neck? Would you rather have more frets? What kind of electroncis? Would you like the option of coil selectors in both pickups? In just one? You like humbuckers as oppossed to the might 'Music Man' pickup? IS weight important to you? What kind of neck profile do you like? What type of fingerboard is important to you?

Those are my main ones, but there are couple others. But the point is, answer all of these questions, and you'll find the list of 'available' options narrowed down significantly. Then, you can start your search.

If you don't do that, you'll end up spending money on something you probably wouldn't have been that happy with. Don't believe me?

Bottom half was stuff I was actually looking to gig primarily with.
  19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000

Used ones can be had for less than $2k.