Best 5 string for under $500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HMS, Mar 25, 2003.

1. HMS

Dec 17, 2002
    Hey everyone,

Just wondering what your opinions may be. I'm going to be shopping for a five pretty soon here, already looked at the fender mim 5 string J. Just wondering if anyone knows of any other high quality brands for similar pricing.

2. alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    Take a look at the Dean Edge series. I have a Edge 6 that came in around the $500 mark. It is a really nice bass for the money, multi-laminate bolt-on neck, EMG pu's and a very nice quilted maple top. I have never played the 5, but if it is anything like the 6, 2 thumbs up.
  3. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

I own a MTD "The Beast" 5 strings bass, it sounds great, i got it for $450 (shipping included) on ebay, most of the TB's members seem to like the MTD Kingston, very good basses indeed for under $500;)
    That's just my opinion:D
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The Kingston or one of the new Yamaha BBs.
  5. NCorder

NCorder Smoke-free since 4/3/05

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    if your looking into a neck-thru bass for not much more that 500 smackers, look into the Tobias Toby Pro-5 stringerd on, or ebay. Best $600 i've ever spent on a bass.
  6. Godin Freeway 5

Made in Canada and USA. Very high quality and great sound.
  7. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    Ibanez BTB !!
    Better than MTD ;)
  8. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Is it just me or does a "best 5 string under $400/$500 thred pop up on a weekly basis? ;) I really the Spector NS2000/5's or Q5's. You can find the bolt-on model new for just over $500 or used fro around $350 plus shipping. The Neck-through model was discontinued this year, but a lot of places are clearing them out as old stock for around $550..used they run a little over $400. The NT. I am very happy with mine..looks great, plays great, sounds great. The NT is one of the best values out there IMO.:)
  9. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
  10. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    gotta go with the Kingston. I love mine. I love the sound of that MM pickup in the sweet spot.
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

MTD Kingston 5. Has a better B string than some basses that cost twice as much.
  12. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Definately the Kingston 5. (or Heir)
  13. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Ibanez BTB 405QM has a B string that makes the MTD cry.

Then again they retail for $800, but I got mine for 400 :D
  14. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Hmmm, I'm not with you at all, I had 2 BTB's 1005 (the ones with bartolini pickups) and my MTD's B string was way better than my BTB's, maybe the MTD laughed so hard at the BTB that it cried :D
  15. I'd say a 5 string Fender J-bass is your best bet. These are so versatile, metal, blues, you name it, you can use it.

16. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Ditto on the Fender Standard Jazz above. The low B isn't quite like the Kingston, but is very good, especially if you use tapered strings. The native sound of the bass is better than the Kingston, too.
  17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Another vote for the Made in Korea Dean Edge 5 here. I have a fretless 5 that I got December 31 1999 that makes me happier every time I strap it on. It is giggable, beautiful, and sounds really nice to my ears. The 5 piece maple/walnut laminate neck feels very comfortable in my hands (a little more comfy, but not necessarily better feeling, than my USA Fender Jazz) and is solid. Nice bass. 35" scale takes a little getting used to and makes finding strings a little tricky, but the "B" is nice and tight (at least with my playing) and beautifully voiced. The newer Q5 version with a quilted top is extremely pretty. Check .
  18. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    OLP 5 string $259. You will have money left over for cabinet.
  19. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I'd get a used Lakland 55-01. Yea, that will use up your $500 budget, but they are great basses.
  20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The BTB 405 and 406 have IMHO very average B's for a 35" scale bass. The Kingston B blows them away.