Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best 5 string fretless?: ($), ($$), ($$$)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassdr, Sep 3, 2001.

1. I finally have all the basses I need (right!) except a 5-string fretless. What bass has the best true "mwah" in the 3 price points: <1,000 ($), 1-2,000 ($$), >2,000 ($$$)?

2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    should i even...........????

fred

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here's a couple in the >$2000 category. The Pedulla is better on the mwah factor, but the Lakland has a wider range of tones ... a little less growly. However, the Pedulla has Thomastik Jazz Flats on it, and the Lakland has Osborn Flats. It'd be interesting to hear how the Lakland sounds with TI Jazz Flats on it. Anyway, both are spectacular basses, to the eye and to the ear, as well.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    If you're talking new...

<1,000 ($)
    Cort Artisan
    MTD K5

1-2,000 ($$)
    Peavey Cirrus

>2,000 ($$$)
    MTD
    Fodera
    F Bass
    Ken Smith
    Pedulla

...and two basses I own, IMO two of the best fretlesses I've ever played, Zon Legacy Standard 5 and Elrick NJS Custom Semi-hollowbody. Other Zons (Lightwave, Sonus Custom) and Elricks aren't too shabby;)

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    The best 5 string fretless that I have played recently was a used Roscoe at a local shop with a diamondwood fretboard. It had great mwah, action, feel--you name it. And, I think they only want $1300 for it. Not too bad....

The best 5 fretless for under a grand that I have played recently is the Cort Curbow 5. Very nice, and you can find them for under $500 used, or under $600 new. The new ones are only going to be available in black, so if you don't like black basses, you'll have to look for a used one.

6. Hey Fred!

Go for it!

Anyone tried a Godin A5?

Steve

7. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    The Zon Sonus is in the $2,000+ catagory but a great option. Try it.

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Under $1000: MTD Kingston 5 (heck you could get TWO for under a grand!)

$1000-2000: Peavey Cirrus 5, Stingray 5

$2000+: Zon (any Zon without frets, particularly my Sonus Special 5 :D), Lakland, Roscoe

9. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Actually yes...and I'm totally smitten. I tried one and found it probably has the most amazing tone I've heard in a fretless (but then again, I've never played a Rob Allen ;) ). I was all set to buy another Myung and a Godin A5 fretless when I was financially attacked. I do plan, however to purchase one (both actually) ASAP...hopefully before the end of the year. I'll give you guys a review of the A5 as soon as I get it.

10. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    it depends what kind of fretless sound you like. i personally dislike the sound of active electronics in frettless basses. i found my perfect fretless in a passive f bass bn5f. i picked mine up used for 1700 and i love it. it gets the jaco/gary willis tone i love in single coil with the bridge pickup and the neck pickup gives a deep woody psuedo upright sound.in humbucking mode it sounds like what you hear on an alain caron album. i love the 28 fret thing too.