Best 5 string Ibanez

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wyleeboxer, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Ok which one is it? Im looking for a new one but might think about an old/used one as well. Any thoughts, I'll be using it mainly for rock. Thanks
  2. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

I don't know about "best" but I recently became aware of this one ... and I think it's QUITE nice!

Ibanez RD 505 - $444 at Music123

EDIT: Here's the review from BassPlayer mag.
    Pay close attention to the info on its pickup switching options. Very impressive!
  3. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I agree. I've had the chance to sample that model in the store. Great neck, great balance, very nice B string. It also got stellar reviews in BP. I haven't seen too may on the used market. I don't know if it is because they're relatively new, or that no one simply wants to part with them!
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like the now discontinued prestige series SR3005's.
  5. DonovanBankhead

DonovanBankhead Banned Commercial User

Aug 25, 2001
    Springfield, MO
    Owner -; Vice President - Springfield Music
    Hard to go wrong with a BTB1005. Those things are killer.

BTW, I have a new one for sale, if you are looking...
  6. Why are you selling?

I am looking for a 40th birthday present for myself later this year and it's going to be a 5 string. I am an Ibanez fan and my current bass is an '81 Roadster 924 (They were/are nice basses). I also have an early Ibanez Artist gold series semi-acoustic guitar like John Schofield has but it doesn't get played much any more now that I've gone to the low side.

I am looking at the SR1005, the BTB1205 Prestige (this is the winner at the moment), as well as the Doug Wimbush special. I'm also looking at a Stingray 5 but could be out of the price range.
  7. I can't tell you that it's the best, but from previous experience I can vouch that the EDA905 is a great bass. I was in a strictly rock band and it held things down very nicely. I thought they looked really cool, contrary to pretty much what everyone else in my band thought. Solid bass.
  8. I happen to like the BTB over the Soundgear series, as they tend to have a more comfortable neck profile. Certainly not thin compared by SR standards, but substantial with adequate spacing.

With that said, I play a BTB1206. I prefer to get down on the six rather than the five.
  9. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

I'd put my vote in for the SR-3005 with no reservations!
  10. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    My personal preference is the SR905 in either CNF or NTF finish. CNF is the 2005-6 finish, NTF is the 2003-4 finish.

This is a SR905CNF

You won't be sorry with a either a SR 505, 905 or 1005.

Good luck.

11. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    A USATK 5 with the Bunker floating neck.
  12. bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I am a fan of the Ibanez SRX-505... That bass is great for what it should be used for and that is rock and metal stuff.

Loud pickups and sounds great for both pick and finger style players.

Finger tapping isn't bad at all on it either...
    The SR-800 i used to own couldn't cut it for fingertapping.

I also owned a BTB-405 and that one has a serious sounding B string. Nice and tight.

I just wish they had 35" necks for ALL their 5 string basses. I know the BTB does.
  13. Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    So I recently found out my SR 505 is actually an SR 405. I felt betrayed and hurt by my bass. How could something that looked so nice and played so well only be a 405? Either way, I love the bass. It has a thin neck and the specing is pretty close. Very active tone and plenty of playing positions. The spacing is a bit close, but you get used to it, and it improves your accuracy. Even the maple is flamed a bit. I really like, you can't go wrong... well maybe with the 305 you can :p
  14. I'll soon be selling an SR-885 - all black bolt-on (even the back of the neck is black gloss finished) and sweepable midrange 3 band EQ. Details coming in the classified section.
  15. Some good choices here guys. Is the USATK 5 still in production? And does Ibanez offer a 5 string Roadgear Willis sig. bass?
  16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Seems arbitrary to limit yourself to Ibanez. Do you get an employee discount or something?
  17. Yeah I cant say with who or where, but that is the case. :) I also meant to say on my last post if the Roadgear comes in the RD900fm modal as a 5 string? But I can find out from my buddy. Im thinking the BTB1205e might be the way to go though. Thanks for all the info!
  18. SmittyG

Dec 24, 2003
    Texarkana, Texas
    A few months ago, I went on a search for a 5-string bass. I tried many brands and models, including a lot of the other Ibanez lines, and just did not like the neck profile. My dealer got this in and told me that it was worth checking out, I was doubtful by this point, but he told me to take it for a weekend and make up my mind. I took it to one practice and was sold; I love this bass. I have four basses that are my main gigging axes and this is the only 5-string. I have no need for another.
  19. The BTB1205e is a wise choice!