Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best 5 string song

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by TheFrizzleFry, Mar 31, 2001.

1. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    I recently picked up a 5 string bass and I'm just starting to get use to it. I was wondering, what do you guys think the best 5 string bass songs are to get me going on it. It can be anything from metal to funk, as long as it's cool. I know some people don't like 5 strings, but don't worry I got my old 4 string to fall back on.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Pick up anything with Tony Levin on it and play along...

3. To get a feel of the thickness of the fat low b string try:

1. Using scale shapes (major, minor)
    2. Playing songs you already know but an octive lower.
    3. A great song for geting a good reach is that of "clunk, Limpbizkit"

4. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    That's all good but what is a specific song where someone GRRRROOOOOVES on 5 strings. Something like Funky Monks by RHCP, but not.

5. BaroqueBass

BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    Portrait of Tracy.. but you don't need the B-string. So get a 4-string instead, and change the name of this thread.

6. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Here is one, Gary willis' "no sweat". A great reason to get a 5 sting, great use of the low Eb.. eat you heart out you "4 string can do all" heads. je je

http://www.garywillis.com/pages/lessons/mutelesson.html

You can listen to it on this link, now this is a groove, just drums and bass.

tu tu tum tu tum.. tu tu tu ..

listen and ejoy, great to play it to

7. Gary Willis is one of the best at making the 5-string sound natural. I bought the Gary Willis collection of transcriptions, and it has helped me enormously. Warning 1) This **** is advanced.
    Warning 2) There are inconsistencies between the tab and the notation that you could resolve if and only if you know some theory.

http://www.garywillis.com/pages/books/collection.html

GW is cool enough to include mp3s of all the songs on his website.