Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best 5-string under US$1500?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DanGouge, Feb 19, 2003.

1. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    So what is it? I'm looking for a decent 5 and that's probably the most money I should be spending on the matter... what are your picks? I am partial to Fender 4-strings, but I haven't found a 5-string neck that I like from them. I'd prefer a reasonably wide string spacing for my big fingers. Otherwise, I'm open to all sorts of suggestions... Oh, and don't feel compelled to only make suggestions that are priced like $1489-$1499, if you can recommend something good for less, I have no problem saving my money ;)

2. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I'd vote for a Stingray 5 or a G&L L2500...Both great basses and you can find them new for under $1300..

The string spacing isnt super wide but a lot of people tend to like it.

Thanks
    Tommy

3. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I haven't been able to play one yet, but I've been eyeing the new Yamaha RBX775. Looks good on paper - a 5 string Yamaha with a 35" scale and a 2-TEK style bridge (essentially a separate bridge for each string)...........list $999.

Yamaha RBX775 Site

A little more detail from another site...

4. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    My Moon Jazz 5 has 19 mm string spacing as does a Fender Jazz if I remember correctly. I picked it up used for $900. There aren't many Moon's around but Lull's are pretty plentiful used and are built in the Fender style. Stingray's are great. I find their spacing to be a little tight for my tastes. MTD's that I've played are wide in both neck design and string spacing.

Unless you are completely bent on a new bass check the used mkt. Always good stuff laying around on the classifieds here or at www.bassgear.com.

5. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    FBB 5

If somebody else doesn't buy this one, I'll have to eventually...

[​IMG]

It's $1100.00

slightly wider-than-usual 5 string made of all domestic woods. It's the Dombro prototype. The Bartolini P2 pickups give great clarity and punch .

5 string fretted, 2.875" @ 24th fret
    34" scale quartered maple fingerboard
    sassafrass/curly claro walnut body wings
    figured maple/walnut 3 piece neck-thru
    Chrome Hipshot bridge, Gotoh tuners
    Bartolini P2 pickups

6. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    The JO/5 Skyline might be a option, it's a fender style instrument with the 19mm string spacing. I recently ordered one, but haven't receive it yet due to the major snow storm. If you're interested I could send you a quick review once I play it. I bought it sight unseen, there are no lakland dealers around here anymore.

7. Noobai

Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Roscoe Beck or Ibanez BTB

Nothing else compares

8. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    MTD Kingston and Heir 5, $400-$600,, great B string, punchy tone, wide string spacing.

Lakland Skyline 5 stringers. I believe they start about $800 to $1100.

Carvin. Now, the electronics may not be your favorite (maybe they will), but you can get this with 34 or 35 inch scale, you can get the option to have the strings 19mm apart w/offset neck profile, any woods and colors you want and a few different pickup and electronic options for way under 1500.

9. rygelxvi

rygelxvi

Jan 6, 2003
    I have large hands as well and find the warwick necks really comfortable. For you price range I'd check out a corvette. Very versitle and warm sounding basses, with a great growl. Also check the used market :bag:

10. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I'd go for a Spector original Czech (neckthough) myself. List is a little over $2,000, but most decent deals sell for around $1500..used you can get it for $1100 or so usually. Lots of thump and punch, and very nice action. :D Wide tonal range too.

11. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If you are patient and and willing to purchase used, $1500 can buy almost anything, including Modulus Q5, Zon, Ken Smith, Pedulla, Roscoe. You name it.

I would much rather own a nice used one of the above over an SR5 or L2500. They're nice, but you will always get more for your $$$ used.

Chas

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Basses I've played/owned:
    Spector NS-5 USA Pre-Owned
    Spector NS-5CR
    G&L L-5500
    G&L L-2500
    Lakland 55-01 or 55-02

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

New? Peavey Cirrus.

14. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Where is this being sold??? Looks nice, I love the look of Claro Walnut...

Edit: oh yeah, on FBB's own site, my bad... :meh:
    Any FBB owners want to weigh in with their opinions on these instruments? I've never played one or even seen one in the flesh...

15. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    No sir... I don't like it. Seriously, I played one of these at guitar center (around $750.00, i believe) and i really couldn't get a sound out of it that was as good as anything else i had played that night. Maybe it's just me! Try one and tell me what you think! :D

16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    You should definately check out Lakland Skyline 55-02 or Joe Osborn 5 (the 55-02 is more tonally versatile, but if you just want a Jazz bass sound, JO5).

[You might even find a 2nd hand 55-94 for that price range.]

17. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Used: Zon Sonus 5..

DM

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Fender RB5
    MTD Kingston or Heir 5.

19. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I think I am gonig to check out the Skyline Joe Osborn 5 today... I am definitely also keeping my eyes open for anything that comes on the used market... I'm up for trying the Peavey as well as the RB5 but there is a paucity of them in Toronto...

In Murphy's Law news: now that I decided that I definitely need a 5, I found a great four - an early 70's P-bass, light as anything and cheap because someone put Alembic pickups in it, but it sounds great :rolleyes: Oh well....

20. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I have a brand new, two week old one that I really couldn't afford to buy, but of course did. I'm now selling it. Look in the classifieds. Pictures included. Email me if you're interested. If you have any questions, fire 'em at me.

Larry