1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best 5'er for blues/jazz?.....within a budget, that is!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tx_Thumper, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Tx_Thumper

Tx_Thumper

Aug 17, 2007
    Hi guys,

I'm looking for thoughts and opinions, largely because I'm new to looking at 5 string basses. I play largely blues/classic rock/jazz, and I am feeling drawn to the advantages of a 5'er. I've done a lot of shopping, and I've narrowed my list down to a couple....and I'm hoping that players with experience with these might be willing to share ...

Schecter Studio 5
    vs
    Peavey USA Cirrus 5
    vs
    Ibanez BTB 1205E

Any thoughts on tone, durability, performance and flexibility (different styles and sounds) between these three?.......help, please?

2. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    For your style I'd be more inclined to go with a Fender 5, but if had to be one of those I guess I'd lean towards the Peavey; the other 2 would be more rock/metal in my estimation.

3. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I think the BTB would work for Jazz, but not as well in blues. The Peavey seems like the best choice out of the 3, but you could probably make the Ibanez work. I am not nuts about the Schecter 5s I have played, I found the to sound a bit generic and the string spacing is super tight for me.

But, if you found a Fender American Deluxe P-bass 5er, I would be inclined to go for that if I were you. My $0.02