1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best 5er w/ humbucker

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, May 11, 2002.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I have the dreadful :)D ) task of picking out a bass for my friend. He knows nothing about basses, but knows that he wants a 5er with a humbucker. He's giving me about $1500 to play with, so what is everyone's suggestions? The main contenders right now are a Lakland and a Warwick FNA Jazzman, and possibly a Peavy Cirrus.

Sorry, but he doesn't want a SR5!

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

New? The Cirrus. Used? The Cirrus for around $800 and buy an amp with the other $700.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You'd have a hard time beating a Lakland. In that price range, you can get a new Skyline 55-02, or better, a good used 55-94. I'd get the used American one. Or you could get a new Fender Jazz FMT V. Beetchen.

[​IMG]

4. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think the Fenders with the buckers and the P pup would be a good buy for him. P...J...and beyond. Oh man Im tired...sorry.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  6. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I would try to find out what your friend likes in a bass and what kind of sound he wants. Also, what kind of music does he play, it might help narrow the choices a little because you can get alot with $1500
    Munjibunga
    I have'nt heard anything about the Fender Jazz 5 FMT yet but it looks great. How do you like it ?

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Used Modulus Quantum 5.

'Nuff said.:)

8. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    G&L L 2500?

9. I second the Fender Precision Deluxe V. If he can stand the finve in line headstock, then it's an awesome bass.

The Peavy Cirrus 5 is really nice too.

10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Thanks all...the bass is actually going to be for studio use, and I've heard the Laklands record extremelly well, so that's why that was a choice, and he like the Warwick tone, but I talked a few things over with him, and I think we may go with a used Cirrus or L2500 + MIM P and Jazz.

11. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    A used Cirrus sounds like a good choice if you don't go for the Lakland. The Cirrus has a sound that fits into most situations, and they are nice and quiet.

On a side note, I was playing with a band last night at a friend's nice home studio. I ran my NS4CR direct via my Sans Amp DI, and it sounded killer. That's another bass that is very quiet and records really well. I would say it's sound is best suited to rock though. With nickel rounds, compression, and some EQ tweaks, it could cover more ground than that though I'm sure. I just happen to like it the most for the hard stuff, it really excels at that.

No humbucker, but has a great sound with both pups full on, and is soooooo quiet.

12. well, it's my turn again to defend the F.N.A. Jazzman , so here I am :D

the Warwick F.N.A. Jazzman is a very very nice bass with a very very nice Humbucker :p

I have mine now for about 5 months, and it rocks !!

here is mine (precisely the same as on this img. wich is copied from the site)

[​IMG]