Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best 5er w/ humbucker

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SoComSurfing, May 11, 2002.

1. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I have the dreadful :)D ) task of picking out a bass for my friend. He knows nothing about basses, but knows that he wants a 5er with a humbucker. He's giving me about $1500 to play with, so what is everyone's suggestions? The main contenders right now are a Lakland and a Warwick FNA Jazzman, and possibly a Peavy Cirrus.

Sorry, but he doesn't want a SR5!

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

New? The Cirrus. Used? The Cirrus for around $800 and buy an amp with the other $700.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You'd have a hard time beating a Lakland. In that price range, you can get a new Skyline 55-02, or better, a good used 55-94. I'd get the used American one. Or you could get a new Fender Jazz FMT V. Beetchen.

[​IMG]

4. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think the Fenders with the buckers and the P pup would be a good buy for him. P...J...and beyond. Oh man Im tired...sorry.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  6. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I would try to find out what your friend likes in a bass and what kind of sound he wants. Also, what kind of music does he play, it might help narrow the choices a little because you can get alot with $1500
    Munjibunga
    I have'nt heard anything about the Fender Jazz 5 FMT yet but it looks great. How do you like it ?

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Used Modulus Quantum 5.

'Nuff said.:)

8. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    G&L L 2500?

9. I second the Fender Precision Deluxe V. If he can stand the finve in line headstock, then it's an awesome bass.

The Peavy Cirrus 5 is really nice too.

10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Thanks all...the bass is actually going to be for studio use, and I've heard the Laklands record extremelly well, so that's why that was a choice, and he like the Warwick tone, but I talked a few things over with him, and I think we may go with a used Cirrus or L2500 + MIM P and Jazz.

11. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    A used Cirrus sounds like a good choice if you don't go for the Lakland. The Cirrus has a sound that fits into most situations, and they are nice and quiet.

On a side note, I was playing with a band last night at a friend's nice home studio. I ran my NS4CR direct via my Sans Amp DI, and it sounded killer. That's another bass that is very quiet and records really well. I would say it's sound is best suited to rock though. With nickel rounds, compression, and some EQ tweaks, it could cover more ground than that though I'm sure. I just happen to like it the most for the hard stuff, it really excels at that.

No humbucker, but has a great sound with both pups full on, and is soooooo quiet.

12. well, it's my turn again to defend the F.N.A. Jazzman , so here I am :D

the Warwick F.N.A. Jazzman is a very very nice bass with a very very nice Humbucker :p

I have mine now for about 5 months, and it rocks !!

here is mine (precisely the same as on this img. wich is copied from the site)

[​IMG]