Best 6 Bridges?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Alex, Dec 4, 2005.

1. I was wondering if what (in your opinion) is the best 6 string bridges. Like how Badasses are the best 4 and 5 string bridges, is there 1 specific bridge that is that popular for 6's? Thanks all
  2. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    I like individual bridges because it lets each string vibrate by itself and is not affected by other string's vibrations like with a 1 or 2 piece.

3. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass

I sent you a pm.t
  4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I'm not a big fan of BadAss. Compared to the stock bent metal birdges you see on a lot of basses, they're nice, but... It's at least a little bit personal preference. My personal favorite is the Hipshot A. It comes in brass or aluminum, it's quick loading, adjustible in 3 dimensions, and is string-through-body compatible.
  5. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I like the basic Fender-style bridges. The BadAss stuff is just too bulky. I also like ABM stuff, two-piece bridges, trapezes, and that Hofner/mandolin saddle/bridge thing when used with string-thru so that the strings are anchored to the body itself.
  6. kimstevens

Nov 12, 2002
    Speaking of the Hipshot Model A... can you tell a sonic difference between brass and aluminum construction with that bridge?
  7. yeah you can, just fitted a 5 string brass and a 5 string ali to two basses and the ali has more attack, the brass is warmer, fitted brass ans ali nuts as well so it all flows. :bassist:
  8. don't you have to route the holes for those to drop into, kind of like you see in Hambone's Fairline (first pic, I can't get the link now: must go!)
  9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Especially if he's armed with AK-47 and grenades!

Back on topic, there's some difference, go to setup and check out the threads there.
    The thing Hambone has made is not a typical individual bridge. Usual ones use just two screws and require no routing.

I now have and ABM 3566 on my project and I really like it. Big and heavy, solid machined brass :smug:
  10. I was just referring to the routing he did on the body. When you say "they" usually use 2screws, you mean individual bridges?

Also, how do individual bridges adjust forward/back WITHOUT routing? do they each have their own little apparatus to do that?
  11. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Yeah, most indi bridges use 2 screws, and there's a saddle, which adjusts forward and back, but not laterally (left or right).
  12. mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    single saddle bridges are mighty expensive. i never had direct experience with them, but i am planning on doing so.

my Hipshot A 6stringer will be here in less than 15 days!