1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best 6-string bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jornan, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Jornan

Jornan

Jun 30, 2008
    Norway
    Which 6-string bass do you think is the best? I have a Yamaha RBXJM2 that I am very satisfied with now, but I've heard that the MusicMan Bongo is better (yes, I'm a Myung fan :p ). Anyone tried and compared them? Any other 6-string basses that are very good? I've tried a Yamaha TRB 1006, but I think that it might be a bit heavy and the neck is wide! Anyway, that's my opinion, maybe others find the TRB better.

rtav likes this.
  2. There's no best bass. Matter of preference. People should learn to stop asking these type of question.

tfer, bholder, gebass6 and 2 others like this.
  3. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Easy. Whichever one you like best.

bholder likes this.
  4. Jornan

Jornan

Jun 30, 2008
    Norway
    Yes, of course I know that, but I ask you which bass do you think is the best/a very good one?

If I tried all the basses in the world, then it would be right to say "Whichever one you like best." But I haven't tried them all, so maybe I could get some suggestions and advice from someone here.

riffmaster23 likes this.
  5. noxweb

noxweb

Apr 6, 2008
    Almada, Portugal
    I would also like to hear some feedback because I will probably get a new bass when I get my degree, and I have only excluded 5 stringers because I already have one and I don't really like a semi-wide neck (if it's gonna be wide I wanna have a high C too)

Most 6 strings are either too Cheap (ibanez Sr506), and not good enough for what I want, or too expensive (Yamaha TRB6P2)

I've also tried the TRB1006 and didn't like it, the best option in the market (looking at it by the specs), is Ibanez BTB1306E or Ibanez SR1006 Prestige

6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Maybe I'm biased, but this is the best 6 string bass I've ever played:

[​IMG]

7. TMacATK

TMacATK

Jul 9, 2008
    Davis, CA
    Yeah, that looks pretty close to being the best six string ever :D ;).

TolerancEJ likes this.
  8. MTMTEX

MTMTEX Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    austin tx.
    Peavey TL-6. You can close this thread now. ;)

9. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    There's no single best but Tom Clement makes gorgeous custom 6 string basses. My piezo-only fretless six ("#101) feels and sounds fantastic:

R0010415.

10. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm really happy with my Carvin. I also really like Roscoes and MTDs.

11. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I've long been interested in a 6 string, but I'm not sure what I'd do with skinny little string next to my G... Do I tune it to C? To B? Do I just use it when soloing? Can I pop it?

So many questions!

MobileHolmes and Brother Goose like this.
  12. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    As I've said in threads before. The Best bass is the one that YOU like best. There is no such thing as 1 Best bass in any category (4, 5, 6, etc string).

As far as advice to be given, the BEST advice is for YOU to go out and try as many different basses as you can then pick the one YOU like best, then you will have the BEST bass for you.

Asking other people for their opinions like this usually just serves to confuse you more than it helps you.

Also, say you do take the advice of someone and get a bass that they said was best. You spend your hard earned money and find out that you actually don't like it.

Get out there, do some leg work, try out many different ones and go with YOUR feeling. In the end, you're the one that has to be happy with it.

13. give us a budget and a genre of music you plan to play and then we can give you some good answers. That MTD up the was schweet but only if you play on shelling out $3k+ and that's if you can find one used.

14. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I paid less than you think for the MTD 635 I posted. I bought it used and got what I consider a very good deal.

15. Big +1 on that!!! When ya start dealing with that many strings, people start having strict scale length, neck profile, and string spacing guidelines. Then factor in how they want it to sound, active vs. passive, fretted vs fretless, lines vs. unlined, etc. There are a million basses out there.

16. See, now you've got my G.A.S. making me think that i might actually be able afford one! I thought i was cured! :bawl:

17. ilovethesechord

ilovethesechord

Jun 27, 2008
    I would very very strongly suggest a Spector 6 string. They are affordable, look very slim/sleek, and play smooth as hell.

18. So far in my life, I am partial to the Ibanez BTB Premium line. My primary 6 string fretted bass is the Ibanez 1406E. I also own and use my Ibanez BTB 676F fretless 6 string bass. They feel and sound amazing..... and at $1599, they really feel as good to me as Roscoes, MTDs and even Ken Smith $5,000.00++++ basses. Ibanez BTBs, I think, are an incredible value. I also truly am a 6 string bass guy, having gigged on them for 16 years now. Once, I picked up a six string bass, there was no turning back for me.

bradjonesbass likes this.
  19. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I am so glad I got rid of my BTB676. That thing was easily 12 pounds but probably closer to 14. It was awful for an evening with. I replaced mine with a Carvin LB76 and never looked back, the Carvin has a much better B string in my experience. It is also just over 10 pounds.

So yeah, I agree that the best 6-string bass is the one you prefer the most because I do not think Mike is wrong.

20. Yamaha is fine, both the John Myung model and TRB1006. Since you're a fan of John's, why not give the Music Man Bongo 6 a shot? That way, you'd have both of his main models. From everything I've read and heard, the Bongo is an excellent instrument. The only issue some people have is the "body shape." Personally, the Bongo 6 is among the top 3 of my wishlist.

That said, I own more 6-strings which I'll add here:
    • F Bass BN6 - Fantastic. Hand built genius. A custom shop model would probably be outside your budget. If you search for a used model, you could end up finding a good deal.
    • Warwick Thumb BO 6 - Gives me the classic Warwick growl and a nice woody tone. Just a note Warwicks are generally heavy, so you'd need to pick up a nice wide strap. Also, people who wear their basses lower have issues with neckdive on the Thumb model. An alternative to the Thumb, which balance better would be a Streamer or Corvette.
    • Ken Smith KSD Burner Deluxe 6 - A budget (import) model based on Ken Smith's Burner series. Works fine for me without the need for a custom shop cost.

rtav likes this.