Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best 6 Stringers under 1500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aussiephoenix, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Hey,

I've been getting interested in 6 string basses, having a wider tonal range, etc.

I've just bought a bass so I wont get another just yet, but I want to set my sights on another GAS list Item, so help me out guys,

If you had about 1500 € to spend on a 6 String bass (could be 2nd hand, pre-owned basses need lovin' too... :D )

What would you buy and why?

Thx ;)

2. gambit0714

gambit0714

May 19, 2004
    Suffolk, VA
    Schecter Stiletto Studio 6 or a Curbow 6 string.

Why? More bang for your buck, with nice tone and deep growl. :bassist:

"Beside, I already have the schecter" :D

3. For a brand new bass, I'd seriously look into a Warwick Corvette, Ibanez Prestige SR 100X or a Yamaha TRB series bass. Used prices, look into a used Thumb or Streamer.

Just my opinion, but I think the Ibby Prestige takes the cake when it comes to bang for the buck, especially over those chincy Schecters!

-ryan-

4. gambit0714

gambit0714

May 19, 2004
    Suffolk, VA
    Sure Ibby's are OK, if you like playing a baseball bat. :meh:

5. What's 1500 euro in US$$?

6. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    $1,792.48 according to: http://www.xe.com/ucc/
    I had an Ibanez Sr506 and was very happy with it. I thought the neck felt pretty thin. With that kind of price range there are lots of choices. Unfortunately I don't have much experience with 6 strings to help out.

7. Bassossorus

Bassossorus

Oct 21, 2004
    CHICAGO
    used modulus quantum 6.......easy. there are a whole lot of options for that money..........go with the Q6

8. I feel obligated to reccomend my Ibanez BTB1206e prestige. Sounds great, after a little set up. Ibanez's europe line is weird though, and different stuff.
    The neck on mine is ultra thin for a sixer. The 'e' is like the new model, with a thinner neck. Great tone, beautiful looks, awesome electronics. My only complaints are some minor action and fret buzz issues, but that'll be fixed with a trip to GC.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My second favorite used under 2 grand sixer.

#1? A Peavey Cirrus, of course.

10. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Yeah, problem is that 6 string Cirrus' seem to be rarer than gold dust currently. I'm trying to track one down, it'd be my first choice too.

11. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Ibanez prestige or Ibanez 506

12. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I'd go for one of these:

[​IMG]

Ibanez Prestige model... $1499

That will probably my next purchase... ;)

13. GOt to say this one surprised the hell out of me...

I ended up finding (web) a Curbow Exotic Petite 6

I think they are custom order only, but by what I could see they are far from the "plastic" curbows I've seen before...
    Bartolini electronics, exotic woods and around $6,095 USD NEW...
    :eek:
    they do look nice, but for 6000 im sure there are better options out there.

the TRB-6 P II seems awesome and the Modulus Q6...

14. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    The "plastic" Curbows are not real Curbows, they were manufactured to Greg Curbow's designs by Cort. The expensive basses you talk of are the true custom made Curbows.

15. notrt

notrt

Jun 29, 2004
    I found both of my Roscoe SKB-3006's used, on the 'net, for under $ 1,500.00. The more stalwart of the two, a/k/a Dr. Phat , came my way for under $ 1300 if i remember right.

Keep looking...

RC a/k/a "notrt"
    everything is, but some things are more than others...

16. You just missed a couple of great ones on ebay - auctions on them ended last week.

17. I'm currently waiting on one of these...

[​IMG]

After testing out the SR1006, I was not too thrilled with the neck profile and string spacing. It was far too cramped and uncomfortable for anything other than finger style playing. I do however compliment the tone on the thing, as it definitely has a lot of kick to it.

The BTB I found to be precisely what I was looking for in terms of string spacing, fretboard width and so on. It felt more natural as a six string bass, whereas the SR1006 felt more like a five string with a C dropped in for good measure.

18. Well, thats something that Im not too keen on, small string spacing... hopefully I could have the same kind of spacing that I have on my fender Jazz... thats confortable for me. I think I have tried one of those BTB's and that felt good... cant remember if it was a 5 or a 6...

Another thing that could help narrow down my search is, I like fast necks... they can be wide, but they cant be too chunky... ex.: most warwicks are too fat for my taste...

19. SWEEEEEET ! :D