Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best 6 under $700

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Jun 21, 2001.

1. Ibanez SR 406

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Ibanez BTB406

16 vote(s)
    72.7%
  3. Dean Edge Q6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. other please specify

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    which would be the best for a prog metal band?

2. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    BTB406QM without a doubt.

It looks really cool in trans-black. Black, just little shades of gray...

David

3. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    I would go for the BTB406

4. I'd love to be able to offer an alternative opinion, but I have to go with the BTB406 as well.

5. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I agree that the Ibanez BT is a pretty damn good buy. I haven't heard the Deans though the features look excellent for the price. You might want to add the Diamond Series Schecters to the list as well. I have tried them out, and I'm blown away by the quality and the price.

However, my vote for the top of the under $700 club will have to go to the Carvin Bolt. At $499, yr not going to get a US built ax with the high-end features on this bass. With a few extra bucks, you can customize it with all sorts of goodies like exotic woods, active electronics, humbucking pickups, fretless, multi-piece neck and body, etc. You can really get pretty extravagant with the options, but if $700 is yr cap, you can get a practically custom ax that would likely smoke any of the Korean stuff easily. Even the stock options are pretty damn good.

Bang for buck, I'd go Carvin.

Ron

6. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    What about yamaha's? John Myung uses one for Dream Theater which is a prog. rock band....I believe. Well, I do have the cd so I should go and check but I'm too lazy to get out the chair. Anyway, since they're in the line up for a next bass, I'd like to know is their anything wrong with yamaha's?

7. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    Oh yeah, and BTB's are the best choice that you have up there! I think I've played one, they ain't that bad, I liked it.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Carvin makes a bolt-on 6?

9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Unfortunately, no, they don't. 5, yes; 6, no.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

True. Carvin does not make a bolt 6.

Under $700, it is no contest. The Ibanez BTB406 blows the SR406 and the Dean 6 string.

Wider string spacing, better electronics, and much better B string.

The only negative about the BTB is that the neck is quite a bit larger than the SR406 or the Dean.

Be sure that you play one and make sure that your hands can handle the neck.

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's what I thought but...

you never know.

12. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    .... myings yamaha string spacing is WAYY to tight, and its 1000$

13. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    oh, ok. Thanks! :)

14. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I was waiting for someone else to recommend the Cort Curbow 6 because I have never tried the BTB, which might very well be the better bass. But, I'll mention it as another option to try(I'll bet the Curbow is better than the Dean though). I wish I could have tried one of those BTBs when I was shopping. Oh well. My next bass will be a fretless 6, so my choices are much more limited(not many production fretless 6's).

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Cort Curbow 6 is better than the Soundgear or the Dean, but IMHO not quite as good as the BTB.

16. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Sorry People,

I didn't realize you were talking about 6 string basses exclusively. Yeah, the only 6 string Carvins are the neck-thru models and off hand I think they pass the $700 cut off. Reckon I better look a little closer in the future.

Given this, I must aggree that the Ibanez BTM is likely the best of the lot under $700. I suppose the Yamaha signature bass may be better, but its at least a hair under $1,000 so it's not fair to compare it to the others.

Ron

17. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Cort Artisan 6, if you look around, can be had for 7 bills or less. Surprigingly good neck-thru six with the clarity you might expect from a much better bass. Sort of the poor man's Ken Smith...