Best 6string under 1000$..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Suckbird, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    What do you think?

I play most metal and classical music such as beethoven, bach, dream theater, iron maiden, black sabbath etc..

+ Alot of tap and slap.
  2. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    cort curbow 6 is worth looking into.

Ibanez SR506 seems to be the go however.
  3. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Right now i'm looking into the yamaha trb's..
  4. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Ahhh, the budget 6er.

Some I've played:

Peavey Fury 6- That is a sweet bass. It looks, feels, plays, and sounds like a much more expensive bass.

Ibanez SR506- Another nice sixer. I prefer the feel of the Fury, though.

The aforementioned basses are 2.125" wide at nut and 3.25" wide at the last fret.

Samick Fairlane 6- It's no surprise how much I love that bass. However, the neck is very narrow (2" wide at nut, 3.1" wide at last fret.) It fits me perfectly, but others may prefer something wider. It looks great, sounds good, and plays well. Has dual truss rods too.

Other choices that I've not played:

Spector Legend 6- You can't go wrong with Spector

ESP LTDB206- The '05s use EMG pickups now, I believe. ESP basses have always had good quality control. I was considering that bass.

Carvin- new or used, you can snag a good 6 for under a grand.

Yamaha TRB1006- Yamaha basses are consistently good quality and their 6s have dual truss rods.
    filippo.goller likes this.
  5. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Used Carvin

but seriously, it has better feel, construction and finish than the spector, yamaha peavey, everything else in that price range. The Yamaha one is pretty bad it feels cheap and not solid, the spector legend is a lot more bass for the cash but the carvin owns the 2, and if you're lucky you could end up with and extra 200-300$ in your pocket!
  6. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Carvin XB76 with wide neck option. Yeah!
  7. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Dont think i can get a carvin, i live in sweden.

I think the john myung looks interesting, i can get a RBX-JM6 or whatever they are called, dual humbucker for under 1000eur.

What's the differences between the JM2 and the JM6 except the dual humbuckers?
  8. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    JM2 doesn't have the cool infinity inlay. That's as much as I know. Big cons though: You'd come off as a progsnob poser. Maybe that's what you're going for, I don't know.
  9. As far as I can tell, the widneck option is not available on 6 strings- correct me if I'm wrong.
  10. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I checked the XB76 page yesterday, seemed to have it, but the option comes with an asymmetrical neck. Don't know if that's a plus or minus.
  11. Ibanez BTB-406QM (if you can still get them, only have the 4 and 5 string versions on the uk site)

I havent tried many other 6's, but personally dislike the lower end SR's, a friend of mine had either a 405 or 505, and it didnt sound nice, at all :scowl:
  12. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    I already have an btb and think i would like to try something else, for more versatility..
  13. How is the btb? I am looking to get one used.
  14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    It's a mistake. The option isn't available with 6s. Still a good bass, though, but the string spacing is something like 16.5 or 17 mm IIRC.
  15. sneaky pete

sneaky pete

Feb 10, 2002
    Yakima, WA
    A good 6 you would be buying my Yamaha John Myung for 625! Sorry, had to go for the shameless plug...
  16. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
  17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, people, for the money he is talking, he can get a used Cirrus 6. None of the basses mentioned in this thread can touch a Cirrus.

I have seen them go as low as $700 on Ebay, and $800 on or the Talkbass Classifieds.
  18. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    I dont know if i wanna buy a used bass, of course the fact it's used
    doesn't matter but the fact that i might be ripped of.

Last time i did a thread here and asked about used basses people adviced me not to buy from ebay if i haven't done it before, i could buy a cirrus 6 used under 1000eur in sweden but that would be just as riscy as ebay and more expensive and harder to find.

And by the way, i'll buy it when i turn 15 and it wouldn't be a nice gift to be ripped off :(

EDIT: I think i might buy used anyway, it would spare me alot of money and i would get a much better bass.
    So under 1000$ used?
  19. Busk

Jan 31, 2002
    Peavey Cirrus or TL-Six or Carvin. Very nice US product that gets no respect.