1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best 8 ohm bass head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wohnjalker, Nov 30, 2018.

1. wohnjalker

wohnjalker

Dec 21, 2016
    So I’m just trying to get an idea of what options are out there that I may not know about... as of now, I am leaning towards a Hartke LH500. I just got a Ibanez Promethean 4x10 cab super cheap, but it is 250 watts (RMS?) @ 8 ohms, and I don’t want to add any additional cabs to this setup, so I will be sticking with the 8 ohms requirement for my bass head. Any suggestions, TalkBass fam?

2. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    I would venture to say that just about every bass head you run across will work just fine with an 8 ohm load. The 8 ohm indication on the cabinet isn’t any kind of requirement, but rather an indication of the (averaged) impedance or load that particular speaker configuration will place in a connected amp across the frequency range of the drivers.

AB898C71-D32C-4564-9F3C-D214E913EB9E.
    As you can see, impedance varies with frequency.
    The 250 watt rating is the average (RMS) amount of power the cabinet can handle.
    This is just the tip of the iceberg as to speaker raring and amplifier compatibility. You should do a search. Also, there is no “best”. Sorry.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  3. Yes. Any solid state amp rated for 4 Ohms or 2 Ohms will be happy with an 8 Ohm cab.
    The 8 Ohm rating on your cab indicates how much of a load it will present to the amp.
    An amp rated for 4 Ohms means do not hook any cab or combination of cabs that result in a load of less than 4 Ohms, higher than 4 is OK.
    One or two 8 Ohm cabs would be fine, One 4 Ohm cab is fine, but two 4 Ohm cabs or a 4 and 8 Ohm cab together is too low.

sharkbait130 and filmtex like this.
  4. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Well put.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  5. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    So pick up a old led sled for dirt cheap.

6. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    What's the cab rated at?